|William Carter was
born in Curragh Camp, Dublin and enlisted in Ilford, although he actually lived
in part of Billericay, called Ramsden Bellhouse.
William was the
son of William Carter of 'Lyndhurst' in the village, and he was a Gunner in the
123rd Heavy Battery, 88th Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery, part of the Third
Army, (service number 34833). In 1914 it consisted of one 4-gun battery of
60-lbr guns per Division.
RGA researcher Alan
were usually clustered into formations known variously as RGA Brigades or Heavy
Artillery Groups He was killed in action 19th April 1915 probably from the date
on the attack on Hill 60 althought at time of writing location of the Brigade
is uncertain , aged 21 and was buried in the Ypres Town Extension
|YPRES TOWN CEMETERY, close to the Menin Gate, was used from October
1914 to May 1915, and once in 1918. The cemetery contains 145 Commonwealth
burials of the First World War, grouped in plots among the civil graves. The
EXTENSION, on the east side of the town cemetery, was also begun in October
1914 and was used until April 1915, and on two further occasions in 1918. The
extension was much increased after the Armistice when 367 graves were brought
in from small cemeteries and isolated positions east and north of Ypres.