STOCK PARISH COUNCIL
MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON
MONDAY 24TH NOVEMBER 2003 AT STOCK VILLAGE HALL AT 7.30PM.

Present: Cllrs. Williams, Elliott, Tully, Peacock, Easton & Otter
In The Chair Cllr. Johnson
Minute Secretary Lorraine Green
Also Present: 6 Members of the Public

868 DEMOCRATIC TIME.
A parishioner, Mrs Virginia Henderson, reported the speeding in Smallgains Lane. The Chairman said that the Parish Council were aware of the situation.
A parishioner, Mr Brian Hughes, complained about the posts in Myln Meadow/Birch Lane. He advised that he had written a letter to the Parish Council in this regard. Mr Hughes said that he had carried out a survey on the other houses near where the posts have been put and that 8 out of 10 owners did not like the posts. A parishioner, Shona Trip, of 9 Birch Lane, said that she lived opposite the posts and objected to them, as they were very unsightly. The Chairman said that the matter would be dealt with under Matters Arising From The Minutes.
A parishioner, Mr Rod Northwood, discussed the ditch on the Common. He asked the Parish Council to ensure that the ditch starts from the road. He advised that Mr Keeling, one of the contractors that had been approached, was going to meet Mr Northwood on site tomorrow. The Chairman advised Mr Northwood that the matter was going to be discussed under Matters Arising From The Minutes.
869 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
Cllrs. Lusty, Lewis and Chelmsford Borough Councillor Ian Grundy sent their apologies.
870 MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING.
Cllr. Otter asked for the words 'evidence whether this alteration had been added onto the plans' to be amended to read 'the current situation' in the last sentence of the fifth paragraph of Minute 850. Matters Arising From the Minutes.
The Minutes of the last Meeting, having been previously circulated, were then duly signed as a true record of events. All agreed.
871 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES.
Minute 850, 827, 806, 784 & 765. Matters Arising From The Minutes and Minute 751. Maintenance.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Lynn Cameron of Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to the Parish Council's request not to have to carry out replacement planting of a Beech Tree outside the Almshouses. Ms. Cameron advised that she had no objection to the removal of the condition in this particular instance.
The Clerk advised that she had written to Mr Smith with regard to the Willow Trees. She had advised him that the Parish Council would like to see what Chelmsford Borough Council recommended before proceeding.
Minute 850, 827, 806, 784. Matters Arising From The Minutes and Minute 775. General Correspondence Item b.
The Clerk advised that she had received a further quotation from another contractor for the drainage work on the Common. The Clerk had spoken to Colin Tant who said the work needed to be completed before the winter sets in and that he had met all the contractors on site and discussed the work they needed to quote for. The Clerk advised that she had now received a specification from W.G. & D.A. Keeling and this was read out. The Clerk read out the quotations that had been received which were W.G. & D.A. Keeling £3,000.00 plus VAT, Aske Ground Maintenance £3,505.00 plus VAT and M. Duggan & Sons £7,000.00 including VAT. It was agreed that the contract should be given to W.G. & D.A. Keeling who had advised that they could start the work week beginning 15th December weather permitting. Cllr. Elliott suggested that the Parish Council ask Mr Northwood to oversee the project. Mr Northwood agreed to this. It was agreed that the Clerk should write to W.G. & D.A. Keeling advising them that they had the contract. Mr Northwood advised that Mr Keeling was due to have a site visit the next day and that he would meet with him. The Clerk advised that Mr Keeling wished to put the gravel on the Common Car Park as he felt that Common Lane was too narrow to drive lorries down. The Parish Council said that vehicles were not to be driven down Common Lane and that the work had to be carried out from the Common Road side. Other ditches in the village were discussed and Cllr. Peacock said that he felt the Parish Council should get someone to look at these ditches in the New Year.
Minute 850, 827 & Minute 806. Matters Arising From The Minutes & Minute 793. Road Signs and Footpaths.
The Clerk advised that she had written to Jenny Moody again with regard to the gate on the site in Mill Road. Cllr. Easton advised that the gate had now been widened. Cllr. Otter advised that she had been to Chelmsford Borough Council Planning Department to look at the plans and had sent copies to the Clerk and Chairman. These documents were circulated to the other Councillors. The Clerk advised that she had written to Jenny Moody Homes advising them that the Parish Council had checked with the Planning Department and it would contravene the planning permission currently granted if any of the hedge to the front of the property were to be removed.
Minute 850, 827 Matters Arising From The Minutes and Minute 812. Maintenance.
The Chairman advised that a letter had been received from Mr Brian Hughes with regard to the posts that had been erected in Birch Lane. Mr Hughes passed a copy of his letter to Cllr. Elliott. Cllr. Peacock advised that there would be a traffic meeting next Wednesday and that he would ask for Chelmsford Borough Council and Essex County Council to take a look at the situation and see if it passes a safety audit if cars park in the road and whether it is in fact a safety issue. It was agreed to put on hold erecting any further posts until the houses around the area have finished their building work. Cllr. Peacock advised that access is not an issue as there is no right of way over the land in question. It was agreed that the Clerk should give Mr Hughes an extract from the Minutes once they were approved.
Minute 850. Matters Arising From The Minutes and Minute 829. Planning Matters.
Cllr. Otter reported that behind the wall in the car park of Crondon Park Golf Course there is a vehicle with a vertical notice advertising the restaurant. Cllr. Otter reported that the vehicle keeps moving around the car park. It was agreed that the Clerk should report the matter to Wayne Jewell, the Enforcement Officer, at Chelmsford Borough Council.
Minute 850 Matters Arising From The Minutes and 829. Planning Matters.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Paul Bohannan of Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to the planning conditions for the houses in Unwin Place. Mr Bohannan advised that there were two separate applications for planning permission on Unwin Place, one for four flats (9 & 10 Unwin Place, 61 & 63 Mill Road) and the other for eight (1 to 8 Unwin Place). Part of the conditions applied on this development was to build them concurrently thus reducing the disturbance to neighbours, another important condition was to apply age restrictions on their inhabitants. This restricts residency to males of 65 years of age and over and females of 60 years of age and over. But this only applies to properties 1 to 8 Unwin Place. Therefore the young family living in 10 Unwin Place does not constitute a breach of planning consent.
Minute 850 Matters Arising From The Minutes and Minute 837. War on Waste.
The Clerk advised that she had still not received a reply from the owners of The Nutshell in The Square with regard to the building materials being kept under tarpaulin outside the property.
Minute 850 Matters Arising From The Minutes and Minute 839. Maintenance.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Mr Wright of April Cottage with regard to reinstating the grass verge outside his property. Mr Wright advised that his build includes substantial investment in respect of the front of the property, thus addressing the issue raised in our recent letter.
Minute 850 Matters Arising From The Minutes and Minute 841. Road Signs and Footpaths.
The Clerk advised that she had still not received a reply from Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to the right hand arm that had been knocked off of the signpost at Mill Road/Downham Road junction.
Minute 851. Correspondence. Item a.
The Clerk had received documents from the Society of Local Council Clerks' recent seminar. One document had been handed to Cllr. Easton prior to the meeting and another was handed to her at the meeting.
Minute 857. Street Lighting.
The Clerk advised that she had spoken to Mr Tant with regard to painting the Victorian lampposts in the village. Mr Tant said that he would be able to carry out this work.
Minute 860. Maintenance.
The Clerk advised that she had written to Miss Fox with regard to the overhanging privet hedge on the corner of Faulkner Close and Birch Lane. To-date a reply had not been received. Cllr. Williams said that she would take a look to see if the hedge had been cut back.
The Clerk advised that she had written to Miss Fox with regard to the overhanging privet hedge on the corner of Faulkner Close and Birch Lane. To-date a reply had not been received. Cllr. Williams said that she would take a look to see if the hedge had been cut back.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Jackie Harnett with regard to donating a Christmas Tree for The Square. Mrs Harnett had asked the Clerk to contact her at the beginning of December to arrange for delivery/collection of the tree. It was agreed that the Clerk should ask for the tree to be ready for around the 15th December. It was agreed that the Clerk should contact Mr Tant and ask if he would be able to erect and decorate the tree again this year. It was also agreed that the Chairman would speak to Mr Bishop to see if he would be able to organise the electricity for the Christmas tree lights. The Chairman asked the Clerk to write to Mr and Mrs Seaman thanking them for the offer of their Christmas Tree, which unfortunately had not been suitable.
872 GENERAL CORRESPONDENCE.
a) The Chairman read out a letter that had been received from Cllr. Lusty with regard to the inordinate delay in the roadworks in the High Street. It was agreed that the matter would be brought up at the next traffic meeting. The Chairman advised that both herself and Cllr. Easton had been accosted by a parishioner who was concerned that a pavement was being put in in front of the War Memorial. Both Cllr. Easton and the Chairman had reassured the parishioner that nothing was going to happen to the War Memorial. Cllr. Elliott asked Cllr. Tully to take her place at the next traffic meeting.
b) The Clerk read out a letter that had been sent from Lyn Constable at Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to street naming the site at Honeypot Lane. The developers had suggested Harvard Grange. Chelmsford Borough Councillor Ian Grundy had suggested Hereward Mount or Harvard Mount. The matter was discussed and a vote was taken. It was agreed that the Parish Council would suggest Hereward Mount.
c) A letter had been received from Mr Fleming with regard to the pedestrian crossing in the village. The letter was handed to Cllr. Peacock in order that the matters raised in Mr Fleming's letter could be discussed at the next traffic meeting. Cllr. Peacock agreed to acknowledge Mr Fleming's letter.
d) The Clerk read out an invitation to an ACDPC Meeting on the 3rd December which was about Parish Councillors' Expenses - The New Rules. As none of the Parish Councillors could attend, it was decided that the Clerk should write and ask for a report of the meeting.
e) The Clerk advised that the EALC were holding a course in January with regard to Meeting the Challenge. The documents were handed to Cllr. Peacock.
f) The Clerk advised that the EALC were holding a Planning Course on the 29th November. The documents were handed to Cllr. Otter.
g) The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Carrie Bywater of Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to the Parish Sports Programme for February Half Term and Easter Holidays. Cllr. Tully said that the Parish Council would wait for the Summer Programme.
h) The Chairman read out a letter that had been received from Mr Brian Hughes with regard to the 6 posts at the corner of Myln Meadow and Birch Lane.
i) The Chairman read out a letter that had been received from Aileen Henderson with regard to the posts in Myln Meadow/Birch Lane. The Chairman asked the Clerk to acknowledge the letter.
873 PLANNING MATTERS.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Maggie Stanton, Legal Services Officer, of Chelmsford Borough Council advising that Tree Preservation Order No. (2003/89) at Bere Osyth, Marigold Lane had been confirmed without modification on 14th November 2003.
Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Maggie Stanton, Legal Services Officer, of Chelmsford Borough Council advising of a Tree Preservation Order No. (2003/102) at Little Orchard, 5 The Paddock.
The Clerk advised that a Notification of Appeal had been received for Land Adjacent 71 Mill Road. Chelmsford Borough Cllr. Ian Grundy had commented to the Clerk that it would seem to him that this application remains totally unacceptable on the grounds of lack of land area.
Applications:
Application No. 03/01901/FUL. Construction of hard surface tennis court and surrounding fence.
Location: White Tyrells, Stock Lane, Stock
Applicant: A.M. Hayward.
Comments by 17th November 2003, under the Clerk's delegated power this had been passed to Cllrs. Johnson, Elliott & Williams who said that they had no comments to make. Cllr. Otter commented that it was agricultural green belt and a tennis court should not be permitted in the field.
Application No. 03/02106/REM. Erection of four detached dwellings (reserved matters for design, external appearance and landscaping). (Plots 13,14,16 &17).
Location: Former SmithKline Beecham Research Complex, Honeypot Lane, Stock
Applicant: Countryside Residential (North Thames) Limited.
The Parish Council made the following comments:-
All of the plots are out of keeping with the rural setting and are also not in sympathy with the architectural style of the village. Plots 16 and 17 are slightly more sympathetic. Whilst we note that the attempts to screen with trees has been attempted on the B1007, we feel there is insufficient planting to achieve this effect.
Application No. 03/02074/FUL. Change of use to travelling showman's winter quarters.
Location: Land South of Woodholme, Goatsmoor Lane, Stock.
Applicant: Mr John Tofts.
Cllr. Otter advised that as Secretary of CPRE Chelmsford she had brought the application to the attention of CPRE but that she has not dealt with the matter so therefore has no prejudicial interest in it.
The Parish Council made the following comments:-
This is a grade 2 protected lane and increased traffic would damage the fabric and amenity. The land in question is green belt and the proposed change is not allowed under the rules. The installation of site huts, caravans or mobile homes is an inappropriate development. Any such development is clearly visible from the road and represents a visual intrusion and loss of amenity. Any development of this sort will cause additional traffic on a blind corner on a single-track road and is therefore a hazard. Cllr. Otter suggested the Parish Council writes to Chelmsford Borough Council supporting the Tree Preservation Orders.
Results:
Application No. 03/01182/FUL. Erection of 2 bedroom dwelling (Amended Plans received 27/08/03).
Location: Land Adjacent to 20 The Square, Stock.
Applicant: Brite Technologies Ltd. Approved.
Application No. 03/01666/FUL. Side extension.
Location: Flemmings, Stock Road, Stock.
Applicant: Mr K. Davis. Approved.
Application No. 03/01902/FUL. Demolition of existing building and erection of new dwelling.
Location: Ivydene, Whites Hill, Stock
Applicant: Mr & Mrs M. Rose. Refused.
Application No. 03/01961/FUL. Erection of two storey garage/carport, bedroom/ensuite extension replacement of single storey rear extension.
Location: Little Orchard, 5 The Paddock, Stock
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Greenwood. Refused.
874 FINANCE.
Annual Donations - The Chairman advised that letters had been received from All Saints' Church and Our Lady & St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church Parish Council requesting their annual grants from Stock Parish Council.. It was agreed that a churchyard grant of £200.00 would be made to All Saints Church and £75.00 to Our Lady & St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church Parish Council. The Chairman advised that letters had also been received from The Tweedy Charity and Essex Air Ambulance requesting their annual donation. It was agreed that this year's donation to The Tweedy Charity would be for £150.00 and the donation to Essex Air Ambulance would be for £200.00. A letter had also been received from Stock Press requesting a grant. It was agreed that £50.00 would be made to them. All of these payments were made under Section 137.
Cheques to be Signed - The following cheques were approved for payment and signed:
100915 £502.87 Mrs L.J.Green Salary 1.11.03 - 30.11.03
100916 £49.89 Inland Revenue Only PAYE and N.I.
100917 £260.87 ELS Grass Cutting October
100918 £1,050.45 ELS Work to trees on Common and Clearing footpath in Myln Meadow
100919 £115.36 Mrs L.J. Green Expenses
100920 £90.00 M.I. Henderson Grass Cutting Churchyard
100921 £18.00 Royal British Legion Poppy Wreath
100922 £60.94 British Telecommunications Plc Office Telephone
100923 £150.00 The Tweedy Charity Annual Donation
100924 £75.00 Our Lady and St. Joseph RC Church Annual Churchyard Grant
100925 £200.00 All Saints Church Annual Churchyard Grant
100926 £200.00 Essex Air Ambulance Annual Donation
100927 £50.00 Stock Press Annual Grant
The Clerk advised that a Vat Refund of £356.63 had been received.
Transfer of Funds - The Clerk advised that on the 18th November 2003 she had put on notice to transfer £3,000.00 from the Business Reserve Account to the Current Account which was due to take place on the 25th November 2003.
Audit of Accounts for 2002/03 - Nothing further to report.
Precept and Budget for 2004/05 - The Clerk had prepared the Budget and had circulated copies to the Councillors at the commencement of the meeting. The document was discussed and it was agreed that the Clerk should find out what the quotation was for the topping of the car park and deduct this figure from the money reserved for the Playground and move it to the Village Hall Car Park section. The Chairman advised that the pavement along the frontage outside Orchard House would stop opposite the Bakers Arms. The Chairman felt that this was unsatisfactory and that the pavement should be carried on past the Village Hall. The Chairman said that the Parish Council might have to pay for this additional pavement so this commitment should be borne in mind. The Chairman said that a grant might be able to be obtained towards the cost of the pavement. It was agreed that the Precept for 2004/05 should be £30,000.00.
Insurance - The Clerk advised that she had spoken to Zurich Insurance with regard to adding the new doggy bins on. It was decided that the bins would not be added as the bins cost approximately £100.00 each and the excess on the policy was £100.00.
875 COUNTRYSIDE AND RIGHTS OF WAY ACT 2000 - DRAFT MAP OF REGISTERED COMMON LAND AND OPEN COUNTRY.
Cllr. Williams advised that she had looked through the document and that no comments needed to be made.
876 BEST VALUE GROUP REPORT.
Cllr. Peacock showed the Parish Council the designs from the Art Society for the new sign for the new gateways to the village. After a vote it was agreed that the windmill design should be used. Cllr. Otter asked the Clerk to send a letter of thanks to the Art Society.
Traffic Management - Cllr. Peacock advised that the roadworks are back on track and that they were behind because of a drain problem in Common Road. Cllr. Peacock reported that new machines are being used to remove the old white lines and that new white lines are being painted and that hatching is being put outside the school entrance.
Playground - Cllr. Peacock advised that the company he had approached were unable to help with the matters that had been identified in the Playground Inspection Report. It was therefore agreed that the Clerk should contact Mr Tant to see if he could carry out the work.
Broadband - Cllr. Peacock advised that B.T. had set a trigger level and that the leafleting was now going ahead. Cllr. Peacock advised that he had written to B.T. as they had set Stock's level much higher than other villages. A meeting had been arranged with Cllr. Peacock, Roger Watling and B.T.
877 GRASS CUTTING.
Nothing to report.
878 STREET LIGHTING
Nothing to report.
879 WAR ON WASTE.
The Chairman advised that the brown bin collection would cease week ending 21st November 2003 until March 2004. She advised that the weekly black bin collection for general waste begins week beginning 1st December. It was agreed that a notice should be put on the noticeboard in this regard.
880 BUS SHELTERS.
Cllr. Otter reported on a Parish Passenger Transport Meeting that she had attended on the 4th November 2003. She advised that there would be some free days for pensioners outside term time, which will be reviewed in twelve months time. Cllr. Otter had raised the matter of bus fares and in particular children's fares. To-date she had not received any answers to the matters raised. Cllr. Otter advised that if you live in the outer zone there are no children's tickets available before 9.00am.
881 MAINTENANCE
Cllr. Elliott reported that the work on the posts on the Common had still not been carried out. The Clerk advised that she had spoken to Mr Tant and it was still on his list to do.
882 OPEN SPACES.
Cllr. Williams read out the marks sheet for the Best Kept Village Competition.
883 ROAD SIGNS AND FOOTPATHS
Nothing to report.
884 VILLAGE HALL REPORT.
Cllr. Williams reported that Jeff Tully had now taken over from Joe Fothergill. She advised that the Trust Deed was almost complete. Cllr. Williams advised that a new lock was being fitted on the door. A list of functions had been put up on the noticeboard for reference. Cllr. Williams reported that £270.00 had been raised from the Quiz and £1,278.00 from the Mini Fayre. She advised that on the 6th December Southend Operatic Society were performing at the Village Hall. Cllr. Otter asked Cllr. Williams to ask for the hedge to be left to grow taller.
885 REPORT BY CHELMSFORD BOROUGH COUNCILLOR IAN GRUNDY.
Chelmsford Borough Cllr. Grundy had given the Clerk the following report:-
Land South of Woodholme, Goatsmoor Lane
Chelmsford Borough Council applied for an injunction and this was heard in Court on the 13th November. The Circuit Judge was not prepared to grant the injunction in respect of the two portacabins, seemingly because the landowner stated they were not being used for residential or non-agricultural purposes. However, the landowner has given a formal written undertaking to the Court in the following terms:-
"not for 6 months to use or permit use of the land edged red in the application for residential purposes or to carry out any preparatory work for that purpose".
It should be noted if the landowner breaches this undertaking he will be in contempt of Court and liable to imprisonment.
After six months the Council have the option to return to Court.
    Town Planning Services will be carrying out monitoring visits, but it is very important we all remain vigilant and report immediately any changing situations.
Refuse Collection Confirmation
The 'Brown Bin' collection ceased week ending 21st November 2003 until March 2004. The full weekly 'Black Bin' collection for general waste begins week beginning 1st December.
Police
I am attending a 'Meet Your Local Police Officer' evening next Friday and will report back to the Council next meeting.
Cllr. Grundy said that he hoped everyone enjoyed the new Christmas lights that had now been switched on in Chelmsford.
ESSEX RURAL HOUSING TRUST
The Chairman said that she would speak to the Essex Rural Housing Trust to see what the current situation is.
887 STOCK VILLAGE APPRAISAL.
Cllr. Peacock advised that he had spoken to the Rural Community Council for Essex and he was waiting for them to get back to him to decide how to approach the Parish Plan using the information in the Appraisal.
The Chairman advised that the Stock Village Appraisal had been given to her to make comments on. The Chairman said that she was immensely grateful to Mr Fenwick of Bellmans who had offered to print the book. The Chairman said that hopefully every household would receive a copy. Roger Watling asked the Chairman for a copy to be put on the website. The Chairman said that she was immensely grateful to Gary Stringer for all the hard work that he had put into producing this document. It was agreed that a letter of thanks should be sent to Mr Stringer.
888 DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING.
The next meeting of the Parish Council is on the 5th January 2003.
Cllr. Williams advised that Stock is to be featured in Essex Life.
The Chairman advised that Stock Press had asked the Parish Council to give a monthly article on what the Parish Council are doing.
The Chairman reported that Essex Chronicle had asked for copies of the Parish Council's Agenda's to be sent to them. They had also asked whether the Parish Council would submit a precis of their Minutes each month to be published in the Essex Chronicle. It was agreed that as the Minutes were already publicised on the noticeboard, on the website and in the library there was no need to publish them in the Chronicle. It was agreed, however, that Agenda's could be sent to the newspaper.
Chairman thanked everyone for coming; the meeting closed at 10.02pm.
Stock Home Page Council