STOCK PARISH COUNCIL
MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON
MONDAY 27th JANUARY 2003 AT STOCK VILLAGE HALL AT 7.30PM.

Present: Cllrs. Mr & Mrs Elliott, Tant, Tully, Webb, Lusty & Williams
In The Chair Cllr. Johnson
Minute Secretary Lorraine Green
Also Present: 3 Members of the Public

631 DEMOCRATIC TIME.
A parishioner, Mrs Virgina Henderson, reported that her Son had nearly been knocked over in Well Lane whilst pushing his baby in a pushchair. Mrs Henderson reported that the driver had not even stopped although the car had clipped the pushchair and knocked the shopping that was on it over the road. Mrs Henderson advised that she had reported the incident to the police. Mrs Henderson said that she felt a 40mph limit in a lane was ridiculous. The Chairman said that she sympathised and felt that cars go too fast in most of the lanes in the village. The Chairman said that the matter would be brought up at the next traffic meeting with Chelmsford Borough Council.
A parishioner, Mrs Margaret Otter, reported that the Parish Council had failed to state her reasons for objecting to the statement in the Chelmsford Borough Council Replacement Local Plan 2001/11 Revised Deposit Draft Plan. The Chairman advised Mrs Otter that the matter had been taken up with Chelmsford Borough Council and that as a Parish Council the matter had been dealt with and that the matter was now closed.
632 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
Cllr. Peacock and Chelmsford Borough Councillor Gary Stringer sent their apologies.
633 MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING.
Cllr. W. Elliott asked that the word 'plan' be replaced with the word 'chart' in Minute 631. Best Value Group Report - Traffic Management.
The Minutes of the last Meeting, having been previously circulated, were then duly signed as a true record of events. All agreed.
634 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES.
Minute 612. Matters Arising From The Minutes and Minute 559. Maintenance. The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to the surface water drainage adjacent to 4 Vintners, Mill Road. The letter advised that no progress was being made with Anglian Water Services so it was agreed that the Clerk should write to Anglian Water Services directly.
Minute 612. Matters Arising From The Minutes and Minute 590. Minute of the last Meeting and Minute 577. Maintenance. The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Mike Shaw of Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to the reflective posts outside Mr. Monaghan's property. Mr Shaw reported that although Chelmsford Borough Council remain of the view that in principal there is no particular problem with the posts remaining their concerns are that they may be seen by the public as having been provided by the Borough Council. Should they fall into disrepair or be removed and an accident subsequently occur at this point, it is possible that the loss of the posts may be construed as being a contributing factor that could lead to a mistaken claim against Chelmsford Borough Council. Mr Shaw therefore advised that he was going to obtain a signed letter from Mr Monaghan confirming that he or his successors in title will maintain these posts in perpetuity should he wish to retain them.
Minute 612. & 591. Matters Arising From the Minutes & Minute 577. Maintenance. The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Jenny Moody Properties Limited advising that they had indeed carried out remedial work to the ditch adjacent to the drain in Mill Lane in early December. They advised that the work had extended beyond their boundary with the highway and they therefore felt that they had carried out work beyond their obligations. Cllrs. M. & W. Elliott asked the Clerk to write back and advise that the work had not been carried out satisfactorily and could a site meeting be arranged.
Minute 612 & 591. Matters Arising From the Minutes & Minute 577. Maintenance. The Chairman reported that she had had a meeting with Greenwoods and had put pressure on them to clean up Crondon Park Lane and to get the hedge cut back. Cllr. Williams asked the Clerk to write to Highways with regard to the road edge that has broken away on the upper part of Crondon Park Lane from the B1007 to the edge of the woods.
Minute 612. Matters Arising From the Minutes & Minute 598. Maintenance. The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from John Bishop thanking the Parish Council for the cheque for £20.00 for the use of his electricity supply for the Christmas tree lights. Mr Bishop advised that the money will be donated to St. Mary's Church, Buttsbury.
Cllr. Tant reported that the lights were vandalised on the last night the tree was up.
Cllr. W. Elliott reported that she had made enquiries with regard to purchasing a tree to plant permanently in The Square and would report at the next meeting.
The Chairman reported that the newsagent was changing hands on the 1st/2nd February 2003. The matter of repositioning the noticeboard was discussed and it was decided that Swan Lane was a good site. Cllr. Williams advised that the Village Hall Management Committee were not happy for the noticeboard to be placed at the front of the Village Hall but felt that it should be in the centre of the village.
Cllr. Tant advised that his Brother was looking at the noticeboard literature and would prepare a quotation in due course.
Minute 612. Matters Arising From the Minutes & 599. Road Signs and Footpaths. The Clerk advised that she had written to Mr Willett at Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to Honeypot Lane but to-date had not received a reply.
Minute 623. General Correspondence. Cllr. Peacock had reported to the Clerk that he was currently gathering interest from the village with regard to the competition being held by EEDA for communities to win broadband internet access. Cllr. Peacock said that when he had all the information he would arrange to submit the application.
635 BEST VALUE GROUP REPORT.
Traffic Management - Cllr. Peacock had reported to the Clerk that a traffic meeting was being held on Thursday with Chelmsford Borough Council.
Playground - Cllr. Peacock had reported to the Clerk that the Pre-School Co-ordinator and Toddler Group were very interested in having the shared use of a playground at the front of the Village Hall. Cllr. Williams and Cllr. M. Elliott reported that the Village Hall Management Committee had said no to the suggestion. Cllr. Tant said that he thought the corner of the Common was still the best site but the Parish Council would have to arrange to raise the level of land and a high fence would have to be erected. Cllr. W. Elliott said that she felt The Larches was still the best site and was there any way of compulsorily purchasing the piece of land. The Chairman asked the Councillors to try and find out who owns the piece of land.
636 GRASS CUTTING.
The grass cutting tender was discussed and the Clerk was authorised to send out the tenders to Emneth Land Services Ltd., M.I. Henderson, M.D. Landscapes, Cutting Power, Essex Direct Services and CBC Park Services.
Cllr. Peacock had advised the Clerk that he would E-Mail the churchyard grass cutting schedule to her. Cllr. Peacock recommended that the Clerk should approach the same companies to tender but ask for a separate quotation to the main grass cutting of the village as the scale of job is different. The Councillors agreed to this action being taken.
637 STREET LIGHTING
The Clerk reported that Cllr. Tant had prepared a site plan for the new street light for Mill Road. To-date the Clerk had not heard anything from Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to the new street light requests for the village.
638 WAR ON WASTE.
The Clerk advised that Chelmsford Borough Council had asked to park a caravan in the Village Hall car park on 22nd February between 2pm and 3pm in order that parishioners could go and discuss the new recycling facilities being brought to households in rural areas. It was decided that the Clerk should contact Joe Fothergill in this regard.
Cllr. W. Elliott reported that she had read that people may be able to get a discount on their Council Tax if they use a compost bin.
639 BUS SHELTERS.
The Chairman reported that she had spoken to Mr Hood with regard to the bus shelter at The Ship and he had agreed to make the bus shelter in 4 x 4 wood at no extra cost. The Chairman advised that Mr Hood had started the work.
The Clerk advised that she had sent in the insurance claim forms for the bus shelters at The Ship and in the High Street.
640 MAINTENANCE.
Cllr. M. Elliott reported that four cars were parked in Mill Road opposite Bakers Field which was extremely dangerous. Cllr. W. Elliott reported that two cars were parked outside Ellis Cottages. The Chairman said that she would bring the matter up with Chelmsford Borough Council at the traffic meeting on Thursday. The Chairman also said that suggestions should be made to Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to using some of the Section 106 monies towards kerbing in the village.
Cllr. Lusty reported that the lid had come off the waste bin at the top of Swan Lane. It was agreed that the Chairman would look at the matter.
Cllr. Webb reported that the loose kerbstones at Vernons Corner had still not been repaired. The Chairman advised Cllr. Webb that the matter had been reported to Chelmsford Borough Council. It was agreed that the Clerk would chase the matter up.
Cllr. Tant reported that the Hawthorn tree at the corner of Birch Lane will soon be dead due to the verges being cut back to the root of the tree.
641 OPEN SPACES.
Cllr. Lusty reported that he had been approached by a lady asking if the Parish Council would be willing to put up a plaque on the seat in memory of her late Father. After discussion it was decided that if one person was allowed to do this then it might open a floodgate. The Chairman therefore advised Cllr. Lusty to ask the lady if she would like to donate a seat and then a plaque could be put on the new seat
642 ROAD SIGNS AND FOOTPATHS.
Cllr. Lusty reported that the traffic sign at the end of Swan Lane had been turned right around again. It was agreed that Cllr. Tant would look at the sign possibly hammering wedges in or inserting cut nails.
643 VILLAGE HALL REPORT.
Cllr Williams reported that the car park should be completed with lighting by the Spring. She reported that the Village Hall Management Committee had said no to the play area as it was not safe with the cars and functions. Cllr. Williams reported that the Village Hall Management Committee were not keen on the Parish Council noticeboard site being at the Village Hall and they felt it should be at the centre of the village. Cllr. Williams advised that the Committee have still not got a new Trustee document as they are waiting for the church to say that they do not want to be a Trustee. Cllr. Williams reported that £6,000.00 had been paid off of the loan after successful fundraising and that they were still trying to push the lottery. Cllr. M. Elliott advised that £4,000.00 profit from the lottery would be going to the Village Hall. It was reported that Jeff Wilks expects the loan to be paid off in 2003. Cllr. Williams advised that the AGM would be on the 29th May 2003. The next meeting of the Village Hall Management Committee would be on the 10th March 2003 which Cllr. W. Elliott would attend on Cllr. Williams behalf.
The Clerk reported that she had spoken to Chelmsford Borough Councillor Gary Stringer with regard to Nelson Anderson's final balance of account. Cllr. Stringer had confirmed that everything was in order and if the Parish Council were in agreement the account could now be settled.
644 GENERAL CORRESPONDENCE.
a) The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from The Mayor's Office asking the Parish Council to nominate a person to attend a Community Evening on Thursday 24th April 2002. It was decided to nominate Mr Stan Elgar. The Chairman said that she would give the Clerk a short explanation to send to The Mayor's Office explaining why Mr Elgar had been chosen.
b) The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from the Play Services Officer at Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to Play Activities for 2003. It was agreed that the Clerk should speak to Jo Fothergill and book two dates for the Summer holidays.
c) The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Lord Hanningfield with regard to regional assemblies. The document was given to Cllr. Lusty to read through.
d) The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Essex Police Authority with regard to a Custody Visiting Scheme.
e) The Chairman advised that three letters had been received from Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to the proposed footway improvement work that was being carried out on the B1007 Stock Road.
645 REPORT BY CHELMSFORD BOROUGH COUNCILLOR GARY STRINGER.
Nothing to report.
646 PLANNING MATTERS.
The Chairman reported that enormous buildings had been erected at Cornerfields. It was decided that the Clerk should write to Chelmsford Borough Council Planning Department expressing the Parish Council's concern at the additional size of the buildings adjacent to the house.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Howard Green, Chartered Surveyor, advising that the application for Holes Place Farm, Application No. 02/02434/FUL, had been withdrawn. Mr Green advised that his clients would welcome the opportunity to meet representatives of the Parish Council to discuss any future proposals before they are submitted. It was therefore agreed that the Clerk would speak to Mr Green to arrange for the Chairman, Cllr. M. Elliott and Cllr. Tant to have a site meeting with his clients on either 5th or 12th February 2003.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Mr Downie of Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to listing Scriveners Farm and Holes Place Farm. Mr Downie advised that he had looked at both properties and in his opinion neither was of sufficient architectural or historic interest to be listable. Mr Downie advised that an application had been made directly to the Department for Culture Media and Sport for the spot-listing of Scriveners Farm and the Parish Council could it they wished make an application for Holes Place Farm. The matter was discussed and it was decided that the Parish Council should make an application for Holes Place Farm. It was agreed that as there was going to be a meeting with the developers this issue should be raised with them and the matter would be discussed again at the next meeting.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from the Planning Department at Chelmsford Borough Council advising that the notification for appeal for Rosa Penna, Application No. 02/00421/OUT, had been withdrawn.
Applications:
Application No. 02/02653/FUL. Demolition of conservatory and construct two storey rear extension and single storey side extension.
Location: 118 Mill Road, Stock.
Applicant: Mr & Mrs G. Evans.
Comments by 27th January 2003, under the Clerk's delegated power this had been passed to Cllrs. Johnson, M. Elliott & Williams who said that they had no comments to make.
Application No. 02/00760/FUL. Amendments to Application for Planning Permission Received. Erection of two bedroom house - revised scheme to that approved ref. 01/01367/FUL.
Location: 20 The Square, Stock.
Applicant: Mr C. Porter.
Comments by 27th January 2003, under the Clerk's delegated power this had been passed to Cllrs. Johnson, M. Elliott & Williams who said that they had no comments to make.
Application No. 03/00020/FUL. Use of existing outbuildings as games room, gymnasium & swimming pool. Erection of 2 stables, tack room & store in field.
Location: Greenacre Farm, Smallgains Lane, Stock.
Applicant: Mr & Mrs J. Gailer.
The Parish Council commented that it was over development of the area, inconsistent with the private occupation of the premises and was on a narrow, dangerous bend.
Application No. 03/00059/FUL. Change of use of part of existing workshop building to storage or light industrial use.
Location: Greenacre Farm, Smallgains Lane, Stock.
Applicant: Mr & Mrs J. Gailer.
The Parish Council commented that they objected to industrial use within the green belt.
Application No. 03/00065/FUL. Two-storey lift tower at rear.
Location: 22 Mill Road, Stock.
Applicant: Mr & Mrs S. Hyde. The Parish Council had no comments to make.
Results:
Application No. 02/02346/FUL. Conservatory at rear.
Location: Whitewalls, 144 Mill Road, Stock
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Higgins.
Approved.
Application No. 02/01936/FUL. Existing dwelling to be demolished and construct new detached house with double garage.
Location: 31 Mill Road, Stock.
Applicant: Atkinson & Legge Ltd.
Approved.
Application No. 02/02179/FUL. Stationing of timber mobile cabin for horticultural storage.
Location: Mericot, Marigold Lane, Stock.
Applicant: Mr & Mrs D. Bellamy.
Refused.
Application No. 02/02507/FUL. Replacement front porch.
Location: 146 Mill Road, Stock.
Applicant: Peter Goodfellow.
Approved.
647 FINANCE.
The Clerk advised that on the 2nd December 2003 interest had been received on the Business Reserve Account amounting to £119.08.
The following cheques were approved for payment and signed:
100837 £426.88 Mrs L.J. Green Salary 1.1.03-31.1.03
100838 £27.60 Inland Revenue Only PAYE and N.I.
100839 £92.11 Mrs L.J. Green Expenses
100840 £94.26 M. Tant Erecting and Decorating Christmas Tree
100841 £11.59 LCR Local Council Review Subscription Renewal
100842 £2,866.25 Nelson Anderson & Sons Village Hall Car Park Extension
100843 £70.00 EALC Greens and Commons One Day Course
Transfer of Funds - The Clerk advised that on the 22nd January 2003 she had put on notice to transfer £1,500.00 from the Business Reserve Account to the Current Account and the transfer was due to take place on 29th January 2003. The Clerk also advised that on the 27th January 2003 she had put on notice to transfer £3,000.00 from the Business Reserve Account to the Current Account and the transfer was due to take place on 3rd February 2003.
External Audit for Accounts 2001/02 - Nothing to report.
648 ESSEX RURAL HOUSING TRUST.
The Chairman reported that she had spoken to Essex Rural Housing Trust who had advised her that they had been to the village to look at sites and they were now waiting to hear from Chelmsford Borough Council. The Chairman explained that the process takes a time but is in hand.
649 EASEMENT OVER COMMON LAND.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Mr. B.M. Everitt with regard to the Vehicular Access Across Common and Other Land (England) Regulation. Mr Everitt advised the Parish Council that in order to sell his house, he had had to pay £1,000.00 to Lord Petre for an easement of vehicular access across the grass verge fronting his property.
The Chairman advised that the EALC were holding a one day course on Greens and Commons to be held on the 7th February 2003 at Foakes Hall, Great Dunmow. The Chairman advised that the Clerk had provisionally booked two places at a cost of £35.00 per head. The Chairman said that she felt it was a course that should be attended by herself and one other Councillor as the course was also going to cover the new legislation Vehicular Access Across Common and Other Land (England) Regulation. It was agreed that the Chairman and Cllr. Williams would attend the course. The payment of £70.00 was approved to pay for the course and it was agreed that the Clerk should contact the EALC confirming the places.
650 PARISH COUNCIL ELECTIONS 2003.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to the forthcoming Local Elections. It was agreed that a notice should be put in Stock Press and on the website advising parishioners that nomination papers for Parish Councillor positions could be obtained from the Clerk. The Clerk advised that all forms have to be personally delivered back to Chelmsford Borough Council between 25th March 2003 and noon on the 1st April 2003.
651 DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING.
The next meeting of the Parish Council is on the 24th February 2003.
The Chairman thanked everyone for coming; the meeting closed at 9.26pm.
Stock Index Council