STOCK PARISH COUNCIL
MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON
MONDAY 27TH OCTOBER 2003 AT STOCK VILLAGE HALL AT 7.30PM.

Present: Cllrs. Williams, Elliott, Tully, Lusty, Easton & Otter
In The Chair Cllr. Johnson
Minute Secretary Lorraine Green
Also Present: 16 Members of the Public
Chelmsford Borough Councillor Ian Grundy

847 DEMOCRATIC TIME.
A presentation was given by Chris Pasterfield from Broadband Now who are not part of British Telecom. There will be a presentation on Friday 31st October between 6 - 8.30pm in the small hall in the Village Hall in order that the company can promote their product. The company only requires 50 subscribers but will launch with only 25 subscribers. They are planning to start leafleting the village on Tuesday 28th October. The installation cost will be £74.00 and the monthly charge will be £24.99 per month. There will be two or three small antennae in the village, which will be placed 2-3 storeys high and are not noticeable. Mr Pasterfield explained that the antennae are low on power and are not dangerous. The customer also has a small box on their windowsill at home. Mr Pasterfield was asked whether the company had a web site and it was agreed that he would send the information to Roger Watling.
A parishioner, Virginia Henderson, reported that a speed loop had been tied to a bend sign and positioned right near a junction as you approach a bend. Mrs Henderson advised that the loop had only been in place for one day. The Chairman advised that this had already been mentioned to the appropriate department.
A parishioner gave a statement on the recent activities that have been carried out in the field off Goatsmoor Lane adjoining, to the North, the drive to Oak Hall.
The Parishioner said that he believed these activities have been carried out without planning permission and that they are in contravention of the planning rules.
The field, which was sold as one lot earlier this year, has now been subdivided into, at least, three.
The first plot is next to Oak Hall. An entrance to this plot has been created from the driveway to Oak Hall. The driveway to Oak Hall is also a bridleway. The creation of this entrance involved the grubbing-up of hedgerow trees and the blocking of the ditch along the drive. Trees have been cleared from the plot and burned and several large oaks along the Oak Hall boundary have been severely cut back. A large blue shipping container has been placed in about the centre of the plot.
In the middle plot two Porta-cabins or site huts have been placed. They stand side-by-side forming one block halfway down the plot up against the hedge along the driveway. They do not appear to be occupied but both are now white, one having been painted last weekend to match its twin. There appears to be a white car permanently by the entrance to the field and there is sometimes a second car by the cabins.
The third plot, which borders Goatsmoor Lane and surrounds the telecoms mast, has been bought and is currently being incorporated into the pond plant farm next door.
The parishioner said that he felt the new entrance should be closed and that the container and cabins should be removed immediately. He advised that he had written to Chelmsford Borough Council pointing out the issues. Chelmsford Borough Councillor Ian Grundy advised that Chelmsford Borough Council had tried to get an injunction on Friday but as the Judge was in court it could not be dealt with until Monday.
Due to this fact another procedure had to be implemented. A hearing had to be called for and a stop notice had been issued and given to the owners. Cllr. Grundy advised that the cabins had to be removed by midnight that evening, if not the owners were committing a criminal offence. It was reported that Katherine Ashhurst, an Enforcement Officer at Chelmsford Borough Council, was handling the situation. Cllr. Grundy advised that the Enforcement Officers had looked at the site that morning.
The Chairman asked everyone to be aware and observant and to report any matters quickly to Chelmsford Borough Council.
A parishioner advised that the site has a post address and that a named post box has been erected.
A parishioner advised that it has been advertised that the next plot is being sold on the 12th November 2003 by Dedmans Auctions at the County Hotel.
Cllr. Grundy agreed to double check that both plots had been served a stop notice
848 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
Cllrs. Peacock and Lewis sent their apologies.
849 MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING.
The Minutes of the last Meeting, having been previously circulated, were then duly signed as a true record of events. All agreed.
850 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES.
Minute 827, 806, 784 & 765. Matters Arising From The Minutes and Minute 751. Maintenance.
The Clerk reported that Mr Graeme Smith had removed the dead tree outside the Almshouses and had removed the hanging branch and tidied the storm damage in the Oak tree outside Compass Green.
The Chairman reported that a letter had been received from Chelmsford Borough Council advising that a replacement Copper Beech tree is required to be planted before 31st December 2003. The Chairman advised that she had telephoned, and the Clerk had written, to Chelmsford Borough Council advising that the Parish Council did not feel that it would enhance the area to plant another Copper Beech in the place of the felled one as the two well established trees on the site will fill the gap and a third one has always overcrowded the area. The present two trees are healthy trees and are in good shape. If either tree were to fall to a similar demise as the felled tree then the Parish Council would certainly replace one or both trees.
The Clerk read out the quotation that Mr Smith had submitted for the willow trees in Mill Road. After discussion it was decided that the Parish Council would like to see what Chelmsford Borough Council recommended before proceeding. The general feeling of the Parish Council was that the middle tree should be removed and the other two trees crowned. The Clerk was asked to write to Mr Smith in this regard.
Minute 827, 806, 784. Matters Arising From The Minutes and Minute 775. General Correspondence Item b.
The Clerk had spoken to Colin Tant who advised that out of the three contractors only two had met him on site. The Clerk therefore contacted EALC to see whether the decision could be made on just the two quotations received. The EALC advised that there should be three quotations but it was decided that as four companies were approached and two had not submitted quotations then that should be suffice. There was a large variance in price in the quotations received so far and the work specified was not like for like. It was therefore agreed that the Clerk should contact Colin Tant and Rod Northwood asking them to prepare an exact specification for the work to be carried out and then this would be sent out to the contractors so that the Parish Council had like for like quotations.
Minute 827 & Minute 806. Matters Arising From The Minutes & Minute 793. Road Signs and Footpaths.
Cllr. Easton reported that the gate on the site in Mill Road had still not been widened and was so unsafe. It was agreed that the Clerk should write to Graham Reeves of Jenny Moody Homes again in this regard. Cllr. Easton said that there was still a litter problem on the site as well. The Chairman reported that she had had conversations with the planners with regard to a 5m access being put through the hedge to the house rather than the bungalow. The Chairman said that she had been advised that it is in the plans that the fire department would not have passed the plans unless a 5m access had been made. After discussion it was agreed that Cllr. Otter would go to Chelmsford Borough Council Planning Department to try and get the current situation.
Minute 827 & Minute 806. Matters Arising From The Minutes & Minute 795. General Correspondence. Item j.
The Clerk advised that she had written to Mr Vale of Chelmsford Borough Council asking him to arrange to erect black and white plastic reflector bollards in Mill Lane where Mr May keeps parking his lorry. The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Mr Finch advising that Mr May now parks his lorry in his drive during the week. However, he has made no attempt to restore the grass verge and parks his lorry on his contrived lay-by every weekend. Mr Finch said that the repainted seat on the Common looked splendid.
Minute 827 Matters Arising From The Minutes and Minute 812. Maintenance.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Mr Vale at Chelmsford Borough Council confirming that he would arrange for additional posts to be added to the area outside the sub station on the corner of Birch Lane and Myln Meadow. Cllr. Peacock had reported to the Clerk that the posts had been erected but were too far apart and that people were driving through them. If the Parish Council were in agreement, Cllr. Peacock would like the Clerk to write and ask for more posts to be put in between the posts already erected. This action was agreed.
Minute 829. Planning Matters.
The Clerk advised that she had reported the signage outside Greenwoods to the Enforcement Officer at Chelmsford Borough Council who said that it had already been reported and was being investigated.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Wayne Jewell the Enforcement Officer at Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to the adverts for a wedding fayre outside Crondon Park Golf Club which were placed without planning consent. Mr Jewell advised that he had had several meetings with Mr Fox, the owner of the Club, concerning the situation and it was eventually agreed that on this occasion the Council would not take any legal action against the Club, mainly because of time factor. However, Mr Jewell had warned Mr Fox that the Council would not be as understanding on any future occasion and that if he wished to advertise any forthcoming events advertising consent would be required from the local authority. Failure to do so may result in legal proceedings.
The Clerk advised that she had written to the Planning Department with regard to finding out the planning conditions for the houses in Unwin Place. To-date a reply had not been received.
Minute 834. Best Value Group Report. Traffic Management.
The Clerk advised that she had contacted Mr Tant in order to advise him not to carry out the work in the parking area next to the Church but Mr Tant had already completed the work
The Chairman reported that the overgrown hedges between Copt Hall and Greenwoods had been cut back.
Minute 837. War on Waste.
The Clerk advised that she had written to the owners of The Nutshell in The Square with regard to the building materials being kept under tarpaulin outside the property. To-date no reply had been received.
Minute 839. Maintenance.
The Clerk advised that she had written to Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to the pot holes in The Square. It was reported that red marks had now been painted around them.
The Clerk advised that she had written to the owners of April Cottage asking them to reinstate their grass verge. To-date no reply had been received.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Warren Vane, the Manager of The Bear Public House. Mr Vane advised that in the last two weeks the old bins had been replaced with new ones, which are to be sanitised once a month. As regards the metal pole he is currently looking into the situation and will resolve it as soon as possible. The cardboard boxes are stacked to the left-hand side of the barn with a stack of bricks and tiles being used as a barrier for fire risk purposes.
Minute 841. Road Signs and Footpaths.
The Clerk advised that she had written to Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to the right hand arm that had been knocked off of the signpost at Mill Road/Downham Road junction. To-date no reply had been received.
851 GENERAL CORRESPONDENCE.
a) The Clerk advised that she had received a letter from Society of Local Council Clerks with regard to a regional one day conference on Quality Councils being held on the 6th November 2003. Cllr. Easton was asked whether she would like to attend the conference but she was not available on that day. Cllr. Easton suggested that the Clerk asked the Society of Local Council Clerks for a report of the conference.
b) The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Messrs. Corby & Son with regard to the Notice of Application For Transfer relating to The Cock Inn
c) Cllr. Otter advised that a parishioner, Mr B. Smart had complained to Chelmsford Borough Council about the bus service. Mr Smart had sent the Parish Council the responses he had received from Chelmsford Borough Council and the bus company. Chelmsford Borough Council had written back advising that they were doing their best and would put Stock on the list to receive telematic signs. Cllr. Otter had telephoned Chelmsford Borough Council and had been told that they were doing research and were hoping to put up numbers at the bus stop in order that passengers could call using their mobile telephone to get up-to-date information. Cllr. Otter felt that this was a better idea for the village than the telematic signs.
852 PLANNING MATTERS.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Maggie Stanton, Legal Services Officer, of Chelmsford Borough Council advising of a Tree Preservation Order No. (2003/89) at Bere Osyth, Marigold Lane.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Maggie Stanton, Legal Services Officer, of Chelmsford Borough Council advising of a Tree Preservation Order No. (2003/93) at Land adjacent to Oak Hall, Goatsmoor Lane.
The Clerk advised that she had received a letter from Elaine Peck, Customer Services Development Officer, with regard to Interim Planning Advice. It was agreed that the Clerk would send a copy of this document to all Councillors.
Applications:
Amendments to Application No. 03/01760/FUL. Installation of a 22m slimline mast, 3 no. dual polar antenna, 2 no. dishes and equipment cabinets.
Location: Greenwoods Farm, Crondon Park Lane, Stock
Applicant: Orange PCS.
The Parish Council said that their previous comments still applied.
Application No. 03/01902/FUL. Demolition of existing building and erection of new dwelling.
Location: Ivydene, Whites Hill, Stock
Applicant: Mr & Mrs M. Rose
The Parish Council said that they did not object to the new development but their concern was the size and the change of use of the land from agricultural to a garden in a designated green belt.
Application No. 03/01961/FUL. Erection of two storey garage/carport, bedroom/ensuite extension replacement of single storey rear extension.Location: Little Orchard, 5 The Paddock, Stock
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Greenwood.
The Parish Council had no comments to make.
Application No. 03/02015/FUL. Proposed replacement outbuilding.
Location: Scriveners Farm, Madles Lane, Stock
Applicant: IPE Properties Ltd.
The Parish Council strongly objected as this application was in the green belt, was out of keeping with the environment, was obtrusive and highly visible from the surrounding area. The Parish Council also objected to the change of land use.
Application No. 03/02016/FUL. Take down existing pole barn and stables and erect new barn and stables including forming courtyard.
Location: Scriveners Farm, Madles Lane, Stock
Applicant: IPE Properties Ltd.
The Parish Council strongly objected as this application was in the green belt, was out of keeping with the environment, was obtrusive and highly visible from the surrounding area. The Parish Council also objected to the change of land use.
Application No. 03/02063/FUL. Proposed side extensions and internal remodelling.
Location: Lane End, 59 Birch Lane, Stock
Applicant: Mr & Mrs B. Radley.
The Parish Council had no comments to make.
Application No. 03/02054/FUL. Demolition of garden room and replacement with a two storey rear extension and first floor side extension.
Location: The Old School House, Stock Road, Stock
Applicant: Mr & Mrs G. Stringer.
The Chairman read out a letter from CPRE objecting to the previous application that had been submitted. As Cllr. Otter's name was the contact at the top of the letter she asked Cllr. Otter not to take part in the discussion of this application. Cllr. Otter said that she had no prejudicial interest and did not report on any matters concerning Stock.
The Parish Council had no comments to make on the application.
Results:
Application No. 03/01536/FUL. Single storey extension to garage and conversion of part of the garage to a utility/cloakroom. Single storey extension to dining room.
Location: 13 Austen Drive, Stock.
Applicant: Mr M. Lees. Approved.
Application No. 03/01581/FUL. Proposed new dormers to existing roof.
Location: Cornerfield, Mill Road, Stock.
Applicant: Mr & Mrs C. Nation. Approved.
Application No. 03/05105/TPO. Works to T1-Ash and T2 - Weymouth Pine (TPO 2000/59)
Location: Mericot, Marigold Lane, Stock.
Applicant: Mr D. Bellamy. Approved.
Application No. 03/00059/FUL. Change of use of part of existing workshop building to storage or light industrial use.
Location: Greenacre Farm, Smallgains Lane, Stock.
Applicant: Mr & Mrs J. Gailer. Approved.
Application No. 03/01543/FUL. Demolition of existing house and stable block proposed new 3 bed residential property and stable block replacement.
Location: Hillside Farm, Whites Hill, Stock.
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Lewis. Refused.
Application No. 03/01644/FUL. Loft conversion with two dormers.
Location: 46 Well Lane, Stock.
Applicant: Mrs Michelle Ward. Approved.
Application No. 03/01687/FUL. First floor rear extension.
Location: 35 Back Lane, Stock.
Applicant: Mr & Mrs A. Bicknell. Approved.
Application No. 03/01699/FUL. Retention of temporary close boarded fence to protect newly planted hedge until it matures.
Location: Greenwoods Estate, Stock Road, Stock.
Applicant: Greenwoods Estates (Essex) Limited. Refused.
Application No. 03/05130/TPO. Fell T13 - English Oak (TPO 2001/117)
Location:, 12 Myln Meadow, Stock.
Applicant: Mr M. Cooper. Approved.
   
Application No. 03/05134/TPO. Works to T1-English Oak (TPO 1994/03).
Location: Old Pump, Downham Road, Stock.
Applicant: Mr R. Curry. Approved.
853 FINANCE.
The Clerk advised that the sum of £15,000.00 had been received relating to the half yearly precept.
Cheques to be Signed - The following cheques were approved for payment and signed:
100908 £502.87 Mrs L.J.Green Salary 1.10.03 - 31.10.03
100909 £49.89 Inland Revenue Only PAYE and N.I.
100910 £206.82 ELS Grass Cutting September
100911 £9.50 Stock Village Hall Hire of Hall on 8.10.03
100912 £85.11 Mrs L.J. Green Expenses
100913 £250.00 Mr M. Tant Preparing and Painting Bench Seat on Common and Street Light near Church. Attending to Pot Holes in Church Car Park.
100914 £423.00 TimberTec Removing Copper Beech from outside Almshouses and cutting hanging branch and tidying storm damage in Oak tree outside Compass Green.
Transfer of Funds - The Clerk advised that on the 7th October 2003 she transferred £15,000.00 from the Current Account to the Business Reserve Account. She also advised that she had put on notice to transfer £1,000.00 from the Business Reserve Account to the Current Account which was due to take place on the 3rd November 2003.
Audit of Accounts for 2002/03 - The Clerk advised that Lubbock Fine had requested some further information which she had provided to them.
854 COUNTRYSIDE AND RIGHTS OF WAY ACT 2000 - DRAFT MAP OF REGISTERED COMMON LAND AND OPEN COUNTRY.
Cllr. Williams reported that the only bit marked is the grass verge in Mill Road. Cllr. Williams said that there are designated areas for the use of the community. It was agreed that Cllr. Williams would have another look at the documents and report back at the next meeting.
855 BEST VALUE GROUP REPORT.
Traffic Management - Cllr. Peacock had reported to the Clerk that there had been a delay in the first week to the traffic roadworks due to a problem with the drains but that the work had now been started. Cllr. Peacock advised the Clerk that the school had let the Parish Council down in designing a sign to go at each end of the village. He advised that the Arts Society had got some ideas and would be presenting them within the next week. The next traffic meeting was going to be held on the 3rd December 2003 when the final Downham Road plans would be presented. Cllr. Peacock had attended a presentation on quiet lanes and advised the Clerk that Goatsmoor Lane and Furze Lane were going to be used in a pilot scheme. Cllr. Peacock had advised that a traffic count would be carried out in Smallgains Lane during and after the roadworks.
Playground - Cllr. Peacock had reported to the Clerk that he had sent the list of jobs that needed doing to the play equipment to Playdale and was now waiting to hear back from them. Cllr. Peacock also reported that Playdale give advice on locations for playgrounds so when the Parish Council were ready to proceed he would arrange for somebody to come to the village.
Broadband - Cllr. Peacock reported to the Clerk that he had written to British Telecom again but was still awaiting a reply.
856 GRASS CUTTING.
The Clerk read out the quotations that had been received from ELS. The Parish Council agreed the quotation for £738.00 plus VAT to clear the footpath between Myln Meadow and Mill Lane. They also agreed the quotation of £156.00 plus VAT to remove the epicormic growth to the base of the trees on the road boundary of the Common and the verge opposite. It was agreed that Cllr. Elliott would telephone ELS and tell them to proceed with the work and that the Clerk would also write to them to confirm the acceptance of the quotations.
857 STREET LIGHTING
Cllr. Elliott asked whether the old Victorian lampposts in the village could be painted black like the one that Mr Tant had just painted outside Bellmans. It was agreed that the Clerk should contact Mr Tant and ask him to paint the lamppost in The Square opposite the pedestrian crossing, the one at the Billericay bus stop, the one on the right hand side of Swan Lane and the High Street and the one in Birch Lane.
858 WAR ON WASTE.
It was reported that the weekly refuse collections are due to start in December.
859 BUS SHELTERS.
Nothing to report.
860 MAINTENANCE
A parishioner, Colin Tant, had reported to the Clerk that the privet hedge on the corner of Faulkner Close and Birch Lane was not being cut by the owners. Mr Tant reported that the hedge was overhanging and blocking the pavement by a distance of at least 2ft 6inches. The matter was discussed and it was agreed that the Clerk should write to Miss Fox of 11a Birch Lane asking her to cut the hedge back.
The Chairman reported that the Clerk had been in contact with Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to getting the lid replaced on the salt box on Stock Hill and also to ask for a salt box to be put in The Square. The Clerk had been advised that this would probably not happen until next year as Chelmsford Borough Council ordered the salt boxes in the Summer and then filled them with salt at the beginning of the winter season. The Clerk had, however, been advised to put the requests in writing to Chelmsford Borough Council. It was agreed that the Chairman and Cllr. Tully would look at the dimensions of the top of the salt box and then if Chelmsford Borough Council could not replace the lid then the Clerk would ask Mr Tant to make a temporary one.
The Chairman reported that both herself and Cllr. Tully had looked at the Christmas tree that Mr and Mrs Seaman had offered to the Parish Council. After discussion it was decided that the tree may be difficult to transplant and the Parish Council would prefer to purchase something more substantial from a garden centre which was in a pot. It was also agreed that the Clerk should contact Mr Harnett asking if he was prepared to donate another Christmas tree for The Square this year.
861 OPEN SPACES.
Nothing to report.
862 ROAD SIGNS AND FOOTPATHS
Cllr. Elliott reported that the bridge had gone in at Great Preston.
863 VILLAGE HALL REPORT.
Cllr. Williams advised that the next meeting would be held on the 10th November 2003.
864 REPORT BY CHELMSFORD BOROUGH COUNCILLOR IAN GRUNDY.
Cllr. Grundy reported that Chelmsford Borough Council were having a purge on outstanding car penalty charges. Cllr. Grundy reported that telematic signs were being erected advertising parking signs. Cllr. Grundy advised that the Leader of the Council had suffered a heart attack and is now making good progress and will resume duties in a couple of weeks time. Cllr. Grundy reported that he had spoken to Alan Cherry of Countryside Properties with regard to the field at the foot of Stock Hill that the travellers have acquired. Cllr. Grundy advised that a watchful eye needed to be kept on the fields and if Mr Cherry noticed anything then he would inform Cllr. Grundy.
865 ESSEX RURAL HOUSING TRUST
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Anne Bishop of the Essex Rural Housing Trust. Mrs Bishop advised that she had met up with Mr Thomasin-Foster who owns the site at the corner of Back Lane and School Lane and had held very positive preliminary discussions. Mrs Bishop advised that the next stage is for the Development Manager to make contact with planners and highways to get their steer on the possibilities of using part of the site for a small scheme of affordable housing. To-date no reply had been received from Mr Hoy.
866 STOCK VILLAGE APPRAISAL.
Nothing to report.
867 DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING.
The next meeting of the Parish Council is on the 24th November 2003.
The Chairman thanked everyone for coming; the meeting closed at 9.30pm.
Stock Home Page Council