STOCK PARISH COUNCIL
MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON
Monday 6th January 2003 AT STOCK VILLAGE HALL AT 7.30PM.

Present: Cllrs. Mr & Mrs Elliott, Tant, Tully, Webb, Lusty, Peacock & Williams
In The Chair Cllr. Johnson
Minute Secretary Lorraine Green
Also Present: 2 Members of the Public and Chelmsford Borough Councillor Gary Stringer

609 DEMOCRATIC TIME.
A parishioner expressed concern about the demolition of Scriveners Farm and whether the cow shed was being made into offices. The Chairman said the Parish Council had not yet seen the plans but they were on the agenda to be discussed.
The Clerk advised that the new Police Constable for the village was WPC Lisa Taylor. The Clerk reported that she had spoken to WPC Lisa Taylor and had sent her a list of the Parish Council's meetings for 2003. WPC Lisa Taylor said that she would let the Clerk know which meeting she would be attending.
610 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE. - None.
611 MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING.
The Minutes of the last Meeting, having been previously circulated, were then duly signed as a true record of events. All agreed.
612 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES.
Minute 559. Maintenance. Cllr. Peacock asked the Clerk to chase John Rackham at Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to 4 Vintners, Mill Road.
Minute 588. Democractic Time. The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from the Senior Enforcement Officer at Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to the dumped items in Smallgains Lane and Ingatestone Road. The Enforcement Officer had arranged for The Hit Squad to deal with the matters immediately.
Minute 590. Minutes of the last meeting and Minute 577. Maintenance. The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Mr Monaghan with regard to the reflective posts on his grass verge bordering Mill Lane. Mr Monaghan explained in his letter that he erected the posts and gave his reasons for doing so. Mr Monaghan also explained his reasons for not wanting the posts to be removed. It was decided that the Clerk should write to Mike Shaw at Chelmsford Borough Council to find out whether he had in fact authorised the erection of the reflective posts.
Minute 591. Matters Arising From the Minutes & Minute 577. Maintenance. The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Jenny Moody Properties Limited advising that arrangements had been put in hand to clear and regrade the ditch adjacent to the drain in Mill Lane. Cllrs. M. & W. Elliott asked the Clerk to write back and advise that the work had still not been carried out
Minute 591. Matters Arising From the Minutes & Minute 577. Maintenance. The Chairman reported that Crondon Park Lane was still in a bad state and that the hedge outside Greenwoods had still not been cut back. She advised that she was attending a meeting at Greenwoods on Thursday 9th January 2003 and that she would bring these matters up again.
Minute 598. Maintenance. It was agreed that the Clerk should write to Mr J. Bishop sending a donation of £20.00 for the use of his electricity for the Christmas Tree lights.
It was agreed that the Clerk should write a letter of thanks to Mr Harnett for donating the Christmas Tree for the Village Square. It was agreed that Cllrs. M. & W. Elliott should look for a suitable tree to be planted permanently in The Square and report back at the next meeting.
Cllr. M. Elliott advised that Mr & Mrs Porter had requested for the noticeboards to be removed from their wall. Cllr. W. Elliott suggested the top of Swan Lane as a new site for a noticeboard. It was decided that Cllr. Williams would ask the Village Hall Management Committee for permission to have a free standing noticeboard put on the frontage of the Village Hall.
Cllr. W. Elliott passed the noticeboard literature to Cllr. Tant in order that he could ask his Brother for a quotation to make a new noticeboard for Back Lane.
Minute 599. Road Signs and Footpaths. The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Mr Paul May with regard to the rubbish/building materials outside his property apologising for the inconvenience caused and advising that he would remove them all within the next couple of weeks. Mr May also advised that he would restore the damage caused by his lorry to the grass verge.
Cllr. Peacock handed the Clerk a letter dated 7th February 2002 from Mr Willett at Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to Honeypot Lane. The Clerk was asked to chase the matter up with Mr Willett.
Minute 601. General Correspondence - Item C. Cllr. Lusty advised that he had spoken with Stan Elgar with regard to the poppy wreaths. Mr Elgar advised that nobody is responsible for removing the wreaths although Mr Finch used to do it. Stan Elgar volunteered to remove the wreaths in future. Cllr. Lusty advised that there is no statutory time for leaving the wreaths on the War Memorial.
613 BEST VALUE GROUP REPORT.
Traffic Management - Cllr. Peacock showed the Parish Council a chart that had been prepared by Chelmsford Borough Council and Essex County Council. Cllr. Peacock said that he would arrange a meeting with Chelmsford Borough Council and Essex County Council to see how they are doing according to the chart. Cllr. Peacock reported that some site inspections had already been carried out.
Playground - Cllr. Peacock reported that he had spoken again with Mr David Archer, the Play Services Officer, at Chelmsford Borough Council who had promised that he would send a photocopy of the playground list. Cllr. Peacock reported that he had to contact Wendy at the Pre-School with regard to the shared use of the proposed children's play area at the Village Hall. It was decided that Cllr. Williams would put the suggestion to the Village Hall Management Committee at their next meeting.
614 GRASS CUTTING.
The grass cutting contract was discussed and it was decided that the Clerk should approach as many contractors as possible to tender. Cllrs. Tant and Elliott agreed to prepare a specification for the village by the next meeting in order that the Clerk could send out the tenders. Cllr. Peacock also agreed to have the specification ready for the churchyard.
615 STREET LIGHTING.
The Clerk advised that to-date she had not heard anything from Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to the new street lighting proposed for Common Lane and Common Road. As regards the new street lighting for Mill Road, Cllr. Tant suggested the telegraph pole at the end of the garden of Moat House, 15 Mill Road. It was agreed that Cllr. Tant should prepare a site plan and the Clerk should send it to Chelmsford Borough Council.
616 CHELMSFORD BOROUGH COUNCIL REPLACEMENT LOCAL PLAN 2001/11 REVISED DEPOSIT DRAFT PLAN.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Mr Paul MacBride, the Senior Planning Officer, at Chelmsford Borough Council in reply to the Parish Council's letter in which they sought clarification about the function of the Neighbourhood Policy Areas. Mr MacBride advised that within such areas the Council wishes to protect the existing mixed-use character that might exist and to encourage the provision of both residential and non- residential uses within any new development schemes that might be proposed in the future.
617 WAR ON WASTE.
Cllr. Peacock and Cllr. W. Elliott reported their concern that the recycling bins by the woods were being over-used. The Chairman advised that recycling facilities were being brought to homes in rural areas this year and felt that the Parish Council should wait to see if this works and relieves the problem. Cllr. Peacock said that he would wait six months to see if bigger recycling bins were needed.
618 BUS SHELTERS.
The Chairman reported that she had received two estimates for the replacement bus shelter at The Ship. Buy Direct had quoted £2,500.00 plus VAT and Derek Hood had quoted £1,500.00 plus VAT. The estimates and drawings were discussed and it was decided that the Chairman should speak to Mr Hood asking him to quote to build the bus shelter in thicker wood.
The Chairman reported that on the 26th November 2002 the bus shelter in the High Street had been knocked by a high-sided vehicle. The Clerk advised that she had reported it to the police and insurers. The Chairman reported that she had called out Martin Andrews to stabilise the bus shelter and to prepare a quotation to repair the roof. Martin Andrews had quoted £765.00 plus VAT to re-new the roof with green mineral felt and £1,080.00 plus VAT to re-new it with cedar shingles as per the existing roof. It was decided that the Clerk should write to the insurance company advising that as the bus shelter is in the conservation area the Parish Council would like the shingle roof to replace the existing roof as it will be more durable and in keeping with the area.
It was agreed that the Clerk could now send both insurance claims forms back to the insurers in order that the claims could be settled.
619 MAINTENANCE.
Nothing to report.
620. OPEN SPACES.
Nothing to report.
621. ROAD SIGNS AND FOOTPATHS.
Nothing to report.
622 VILLAGE HALL REPORT.
Cllr. Williams advised that there had not been a Village Hall Management Committee meeting.
623 GENERAL CORRESPONDENCE
a) The Clerk advised that Carrie Bywater at Chelmsford Borough Council had asked for the Parish Council's thoughts on holding events for the children during the half term holiday in February. It was decided that the Clerk should tell her that there it was the wrong time of year, people tend to go on holiday for this week and therefore the Parish Council felt that it would not be well attended.
b) The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Mr Northwood with regard to the drainage on the Common. Cllr. Tant reported that there are several manholes on private properties. He explained that the Common is unusable in the Winter. Cllr. Tant agreed to investigate the matter and speak to Mr Northwood.
c) The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from John Pye with regard to the maintenance of the pond in Austen Drive. The matter was discussed and as the pond is privately owned the Clerk was asked to write back to Mr Pye advising him that the Parish Council have no power to insist that the owners maintain their property.
d) The Chairman was asked to put the dates of the Parish Council meetings in Stock Press.
e) The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from EEDA who were holding a competition for communities to win broadband internet access. The Clerk handed the documents to Cllr. Peacock who said that he would organise the entry.
f) The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to a workshop that was being held on Monday 3rd February with regard to Crime and Disorder Act 1998.
g) The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from SGE with regard to the section of Government Oil Pipeline & Storage Systems (GPSS) that runs through the area.
h) The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to the new Register of Electors - Restrictions on Use.
i) The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to kerbside recycling facilities moving to rural areas
j) The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Go-East with regard to a questionnaire relating to renewable energy and the planning system. It was decided that the questionnaire was not relevant to the Parish Council.
k) The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from TCI with regard to the proposed vodafone radio base station upgrade at Greenwoods Farm. Chelmsford Borough Councillor Gary Stringer advised that he had also received the letter and had no comments to make at present. It was agreed that the Clerk should also write back advising that the Parish Council had no comments to make at present.
REPORT BY CHELMSFORD BOROUGH COUNCILLOR GARY STRINGER.
Chelmsford Borough Councillor Gary Stringer asked the Chairman and Clerk to repeat the advert for the vacancy of Borough Councillor in Stock Press and on the web-site as no candidate in Stock, West Hanningfield or Margaretting had applied.
Chelmsford Borough Councillor Gary Stringer reported that at the last planning meeting he did what he could to reduce the size of the property being built at 31 Mill Road. Unfortunately he did not achieve what he wanted other than the ridge height would be no higher than the De'ath's house.
Cllr. Stringer had prepared a final account statement to be sent to Nelson Anderson for signature in order that the balance of the account could be cleared for the Village Hall car park extension. It was agreed that the Clerk could send the letter and statement to Nelson Anderson.
625 PLANNING MATTERS.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from the Planning Inspectorate with regard to the Appeal Decision for Cracknels, Whites Hill. The appeal had been allowed and the planning permission varied.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from the Planning Inspectorate with regard to the Appeal Decision for 3 Garden End, Common Road. The appeal had been allowed and planning permission granted subject to conditions set out in the formal decision.
Applications:
Application No. 02/01593/REM. Amendments to Application For Planning Permission. Erection of 17 detached dwellings and related development (reserved matters for siting, road and access layout).
Location: Former Smithkline Beecham Research Complex, Honeypot Lane, Stock.
Applicant: Countryside Residential (North Thames) Limited.
Comments by 9th December 2002, under the Clerk's delegated power this had been passed to Cllrs. Johnson, M. Elliott & Williams who said that the Parish Council's previous comments still applied.
Application No. 02/01594/FUL. Amendments to Application For Planning Permission. Creation of four individual access drives and realignment of existing access.
Location: Former Smithkline Beecham Research Complex, Honeypot Lane, Stock.
Applicant: Countryside Residential (North Thames) Limited.
Comments by 10th December 2002, under the Clerk's delegated power this had been passed to Cllrs. Johnson, M. Elliott & Williams who said that the Parish Council's previous comments still applied.
Application No. 02/01595/REM. Amendments to Application For Planning Permission. Erection of 4 detached dwellings and related development.
Location: Former Smithkline Beecham Research Complex, Honeypot Lane, Stock.
Applicant: Countryside Residential (North Thames) Limited.
Comments by 10th December 2002, under the Clerk's delegated power this had been passed to Cllrs. Johnson, M. Elliott & Williams who said that the Parish Council's previous comments still applied.
Application No. 02/02402/FUL. Two storey front and side extension and pitched roof above side garage.
Location: Brookfield, Ingatestone Road, Stock.
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Booker.
Comments by 18th December 2002, under the Clerk's delegated power this had been passed to Cllrs. Johnson, M. Elliott & Williams who commented that this is an extension in the Green Belt and should therefore be treated as such.
Application No. 02/02434/FUL. Demolition of existing farmhouse and rebuilding in facsimile, conversion of existing barn into a live/work unit, demolition of outbuildings and erection of a new dwelling house together with associated works.
Location: Holes Place Farm, Downham Road, Stock.
Applicant: Bespoke Properties Limited.
The Parish Council commented that it was over development in the green belt and that there was very poor vehicle access on a dangerous bend. The Parish Council also commented that they were concerned about this property being demolished as it is was a very very old building and felt that it should be listed. It was agreed that the Clerk would write to Mr J. Downie requesting a site visit to see if it could be listed.
Application No. 02/02514/FUL. Change of use of redundant farm outbuildings into games room, office and car port.
Location: Scriveners Farm, Madles Lane, Stock.
Applicant: IPE Properties Limited.
The Parish Council commented that it was over development in the green belt and that they were concerned about this property being demolished as it is was a very very old building and felt that it should be listed. It was agreed that the Clerk would write to Mr J. Downie requesting a site visit to see if it could be listed.
Application No. 02/02515/FUL. Demolition of existing dwelling and erection of new replacement dwelling.
Location: Scriveners Farm, Madles Lane, Stock.
Applicant: IPE Properties Limited.
The Parish Council commented that it was over development in the green belt and that they were concerned about this property being demolished as it is was a very very old building and felt that it should be listed. It was agreed that the Clerk would write to Mr J. Downie requesting a site visit to see if it could be listed.
Application No. 02/02507/FUL. Replacement front porch.
Location: 146 Mill Road, Stock.
Applicant: Peter Goodfellow.
The Parish Council had no comments to make.
Results:
Application No. 02/02003/FUL. Two storey rear extension.
Location: 7 Birch Lane, Stock.
Applicant: Mr D. Murray.
Approved.
Application No. 02/01799/FUL. Extensions and alterations and conversion of outbuildings to residential use.
Location:15 Mill Road, Stock.
Applicant: Mr B. Kress and Ms. S. Mudd.
Approved.
Application No. 02/01899/FUL. First floor rear extension.
Location: 76 Mill Road, Stock.
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Perry.
Approved.
Application No. 02/01918/FUL. Change of use of A1 shop back to room forming part of existing house.
Location: 17A The Square, Stock.
Applicant: Mr & Mrs D. Unwin.
Approved.
Application No. 02/05162/TPO. Work to English Oak in front garden (TPO 2001/117)
Location: 6 Myln Meadow, Stock.
Applicant: Mrs L. Dossett.
Approved.
Application No. 02/05180/TPO. Works to trees (TPO 2001/20).
Location: 2 High Trees, Back Lane, Stock.
Applicant: Mr I. Wigston.
Approved.
Application No. 02/00963/FUL. Retrospective application for retention of first floor rear extension.
Location: Lane End Cottage, Back Lane, Stock.
Applicant: Iain Clenaghan.
Approved.
Application No. 02/01818/FUL. Two storey rear extension and first floor side extension with associated works.
Location: The Old School House, Stock Road, Stock.
Applicant: Mr G. Stringer.
Refused.
Application No. 02/02066/FUL. Addition to existing barn for livestock.
Location: Broomfield Farm, Broomwood Lane, Ramsden Heath, Billericay.
Applicant: Mr B. Morter.
Approved.
Application No. 02/02003/FUL. Two storey side extension.
Location: 3 Birch Lane, Stock.
Applicant: Mr T. Harris.
Approved.
Application No. 02/02213/FUL. Two storey side extension; first floor front extension; rear Dormer window.
Location: 31 Back Lane, Stock.
Applicant: Mr & Mrs K. Attwood.
Approved.
Application No. 02/002263/AG. Agricultural store.
Location: Broomfield Farm, Broomwood Lane, Ramsden Heath, Billericay. Applicant: Mrs L.K. Morter.
Prior Approval Not Required.
626 FINANCE.
The following cheques were approved for payment and signed:
100829 £9.20 Stock Village Hall Hire of Hall on 25.11.02
100830 £956.45 ELS Pond Clearance and Works on Common
100831 £426.88 Mrs L.J. Green Salary 1.12.02-31.12.02
100832 £27.60 Inland Revenue Only PAYE and N.I.
100833 £86.63 Mrs L.J. Green Expenses
100834 £608.90 Stock Village Hall Hire of Hall and Office Rental (1.1.03- 30.6.03)
100835 £20.00 Mr J. Bishop Donation for electricity used for Christmas tree lights
100836 £95.00 M.I. Henderson Cutting and Strimming Churchyard
Transfer of Funds - The Clerk advised that on the 28th December 2002 she had put on notice to transfer £1,500.00 from the Business Reserve Account to the Current Account and the transfer took place on 6th January 2003.
External Audit for Accounts 2001/02 -
Nothing to report
627 ESSEX RURAL HOUSING TRUST
Nothing further to report
THE FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT 2000 - MODEL PUBLICATION SCHEME FOR LOCAL COUNCILS.
The Clerk read out a letter that been received from the Deputy Information Commissioner advising that the Information Comissioner had accepted the Parish Council's adoption of The Parish Council Model Scheme for The Freedom of Information Act 2000. The model scheme has been approved for a period from 28th February 2003 to 28th February 2007.
629. EASEMENT OVER COMMON LAND.
The Chairman and Cllr. Lusty explained about the new Countryside Act that came into effect in July which applies to houses where there was vehicular access over common land before the Act was passed. A parishioner had asked the Chairman to raise the matter as this Act had just affected him when selling his property. The Chairman advised that if there is easement over common land, a houseowner is liable to pay 1% to the Lord of the Manor when selling their property.
630 DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING.
The next meeting of the Parish Council is on the 27th January 2003. The Clerk advised that Lord Hanningfield would be attending the meeting on the 24th March 2003.
The Chairman thanked everyone for coming; the meeting closed at 9.22pm.
Stock Index Council