|STOCK PARISH COUNCIL|
|Minutes Of The
On Monday 24th May 2004 At Stock Village Hall At 7.30pm.
|Present:||Cllrs. Johnson, Williams, Elliott, Tully, Lewis, Easton & Otter|
|In The Chair||Cllr. Peacock|
|Minute Secretary||Lorraine Green|
|Also Present:||11 Members of the Public|
|Cllr. Johnson advised the Council that she would be standing down as Chairman and thanked the Parish Council for all their support over the years|
|994||ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN.|
|The Clerk took the chair and asked for nominations for Chairman. Cllr. Johnson proposed Cllr. Peacock, which was seconded by Cllr. Tully. Cllr. Peacock signed the Declaration of Acceptance of Office form|
|The Chairman thanked Cllr. Johnson for all that she has done over the years as Chairman.|
|995||ELECTION OF VICE-CHAIRMAN.|
|The Chairman asked for nominations for Vice-Chairman. Cllr. Peacock proposed Cllr. Johnson, which was seconded by Cllr. Williams. Cllr. Otter proposed Cllr. Williams but she said that she wished to stand down from the position. Cllr. Johnson was therefore nominated and she signed the Declaration of Acceptance of Office form.|
|996||APPOINTMENT OF INTERNAL AUDITOR.|
|The Clerk reported that she had already spoken to Peter Bentley who was happy to be re-appointed as Internal Auditor. All agreed.|
|997||APPOINTMENT OF PARISH PASSENGER TRANSPORT REPRESENTATIVE.|
|The matter was discussed and Cllr. Otter agreed to be appointed as Parish Passenger Transport Representative.|
|A parishioner, Joe Fothergill, objected to the planning application for a change of use at 18 Mill Road. He said that he did not feel that there was a need in the village for an Estate Agents but that the villagers did want a hairdressers.|
|A parishioner, Michael Melleney, who was the applicant for the change of use of 18 Mill Road, read out a statement that he had prepared in support of his application.|
|A parishioner, Anne Parker, who works at Maurice's Hairdressers, said that customers come from outside of the village and they in turn spend money at the other shops in the village and customers could be lost to the shops if the Hairdressers closes.|
|A parishioner, Virginia Henderson, asked the Chairman when the speed loops would be put in in Smallgains Lane. The Chairman advised her that it would be after the gates and signs are erected and then loops will be put in all around the village. The Chairman advised that he was going to meet someone from Chelmsford Borough Council to show them the verges in Smallgains Lane.|
|The Clerk asked for comments on the draft document that she had sent out on Residential Design Guidance relating to side extensions. It was agreed that the Clerk should write to Mr Dean Harris making the comment that 'there should be explicit identification and description of the different footprints required for single storey and two storey extensions'.|
|The Clerk had sent Cllr. Otter some draft documents relating to S106 and Sustainable Development and had asked her to look through them before the meeting, as comments had to be in by 17th June 2004. The Chairman had requested extra copies of the documents and he said that once these were received he would give a copy to each Councillor to read and respond to him with comments, which he would then submit to Chelmsford Borough Council. Cllr. Otter suggested that Cllr. Lusty is asked to look at the documents from a legal point of view.|
|Update on Long Gables.|
|The Chairman welcomed Mrs Christine Lyons who was the Team Leader of the Enforcement Officers at Chelmsford Borough Council. A lengthy discussion was held with Mrs Lyons in which she advised that permission was granted subject to conditions and the condition the Parish Council were concerned about was condition 4. She advised that this condition was not enforceable as it was not challengeable. Mrs Lyons advised that if there had been a landscaping scheme condition attached then it could have been enforceable that the hedge was not removed. She advised that the Enforcement Team were in discussions with the owners and that a beech hedge was to be put in place of the existing Leylandii hedge. Mrs Lyons advised that the homeowners were happy to remedy the situation and increase planting and upgrade the hedge. After the Parish Council had put forward their strong objections and feelings with regard to the removal of the hedge and the creation of two driveways the Chairman asked Mrs Lyons to write a formal letter to the Parish Council covering the points discussed at the meeting. It was agreed that the Parish Council could then write in their serious objections to the matter. The Chairman suggested that the Parish Council work with the new owner in parallel with Mrs Lyons to decide on the best way of addressing the issue of planting.|
|29/31 Mill Road|
|The Chairman discussed the re-profiling of the verges at the properties of 29 and 31 Mill Road. Cllr. Otter reported that another property, which is of a lower house number, is also re-profiling at the moment. The Chairman explained that the land is Lord Petre's and Mrs Lyons said that the owners rights all depend on what the easements are over the land. It was reported that kerbs have also been put in which the Parish Council feel is a danger. Mrs Lyons agreed to check with Highways and look into the matters and also to send out an Enforcement Officer to look at the houses in question.|
No. 04/00864/FUL. New first floor to existing single storey part of house
with rear ground floor extensions.
Location: 26 Mill Road, Stock
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Pye.
The Parish Council commented that the property would be very dominant to the surrounding bungalows.
No. 04/00902/FUL. Single storey rear extension to kitchen and living room.
Location: 46 Well Lane, Stock
Applicant: Mrs Michelle Ward.
Comments by 21st May 2004, under the Clerk's delegated power this had been passed to Cllrs. Johnson, Elliott & Williams who said that they had no comments to make.
No. 04/00866/FUL. Part alteration (sub-division) and change of use A1 to A2
with studio flat.
Location: 38 High Street, Stock
Applicant: Mrs C. Sabine
The Parish Council strongly objected to the change of use from A1 to A2 as it is a loss of a village amenity. This is also contrary to the Chelmsford Borough Local Plan 1997 for the village - Policy No. SHP9, Ref. Appendix 6. Parking for the residential use is inadequate.
No. 04/00896/FUL. Change of use to estate agency plus related services such
as building society agency etc.
Location: 18 Mill Road, Stock
Applicant: Mr Michael Melleney T/A. M. Estates
The Parish Council strongly objected to the change of use from A1 to A2 as it is a loss of a village amenity. This is also contrary to the Chelmsford Borough Local Plan 1997 for the village - Policy No. SHP8, Ref. Appendix 6.
|Application No. 04/00867/FUL. Demolition of existing
dwelling and construction of a detached house with double garage.
Location: Greentiles, Common Road, Stock
Applicant: Mr M. Archer.
The Parish Council commented that there must be an approved landscaping plan to include the existing hedge and mature trees. The Parish Council recommend that a TPO is put on the appropriate trees and hedge. The Parish Council object on the basis of the fact that it is a significantly larger property and is further forward than existing properties. The dormers do not meet the published guidelines (unbalanced). The windows shown on the North elevation does not show on the first floor plans and there is no doorway to the bedroom over the garage.
No. 04/00358/FUL. Extensions and internal re-modelling.
Location: Lane End, 59 Birch Lane, Stock
Applicant: Mr & Mrs B. Radley. Approved.
No. 04/00352/FUL. Erection of two storey garage/carport/bedroom/ensuite
extension (revised proposal) replacement of single storey rear extension.
Location: Little Orchard, 5 The Paddock, Stock
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Greenwood. Approved.
No. 04/00462/FUL. Two storey side & first floor rear extension, plus
Location: 16 Myln Meadow, Stock
Applicant: M. Joslin Esq. Approved.
No. 04/00224/FUL. Extension to existing rear dormer window and single
storey rear extension.
Location: 14 Common Lane, Stock Applicant: Mr & Mrs Walker. Approved.
No. 04/00364/FUL. Single storey rear conservatory.
Location: 17 Back Lane, Stock
Applicant: C. Campbell. Approved.
No. 04/00452/FUL. Rear conservatory.
Location: 57 Myln Meadow, Stock
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Hannaway. Approved.
No. 03/02447/FUL. Demolition of existing dwelling and residential ancillary
buildings and erect new replacement dwelling and detached garage.
Location: Thrift, Madles Lane, Stock
Applicant: Mr A. Andrew. Approved.
|1000||APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.|
|Cllr. Lusty and Chelmsford Borough Councillor Ian Grundy sent their apologies.|
|1001||MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING.|
|Cllr. Otter asked for the words 'Colin Porter had filled in the potholes' to be replaced with 'the potholes had been filled' in Minute 976. Matters Arising From The Minutes, Minute 954, 933. Matters Arising From The Minutes and 923. Open Spaces.|
|Cllr. Otter asked for the words '(West Hanningfield)' to be inserted at the end of the last sentence in Minute 977. General Correspondence item e.|
|Cllr. Otter advised that in Minute 978 Planning Matters, Update of Long Gables, it stated that she was to get together with Mr Boke and this was incorrect as it should have read 'with Cllr. Williams'. Cllr. Williams also advised that 'Boke' should be spelt 'Boak'.|
|Cllr. Otter advised that in Minute 978. Planning Matters, Application No. 04/00308/FUL, 'Policy 59' was incorrect and should have read 'Policy ESSRSP C2'.|
|The Minutes of the last Meeting, having been previously circulated, were then duly signed as a true record of events. All agreed.|
|1002||MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES.|
|Common Ditch - There was nothing further to report about the Common ditch. The Chairman therefore agreed to contact Mr Northwood to see what the current situation is.|
|Christmas Tree - Cllr. Lewis advised that she would be picking the tree up in the morning. Cllrs. Johnson and Lusty to plant.|
|Tree Warden Scheme - Nobody had responded to the advertisements.|
|Proposal for more posts in Mill Lane - The Clerk read out a letter from Mr Vale of Chelmsford Borough Council who advised that the situation was being monitored. Cllr. Lewis reported that Mr May was parking his vehicle on the other side of the posts. Cllr. Lewis advised that she had met the new policeman for the village who was called Adrian. It was agreed that he should be contacted and asked to come to the next meeting. The Chairman suggested asking the policeman to take a look at where Mr May is parking his vehicle as it is in a dangerous position.|
|Village Pump in Back Lane - The Clerk advised that she had written to Mr Andrews for a quotation but to-date it had not been received.|
|Summer Play Activities - The Clerk advised that she had prepared the posters and that they would be put up in the village.|
|The Larches - The Clerk advised that she had written to Lord Hanningfield to see whether he had found out the ownership of The Larches. To-date she had not received a reply.|
|Grass Outside Bungalows in Birch Lane/Faulkner Close - The Clerk advised that she had written to Chelmsford Borough Council but to-date had not received a reply.|
|Emptying of Litter Bins - The Clerk advised that she had written to the Environmental Department at Chelmsford Borough Council reporting that the litter bins are not being emptied in the village. To-date a reply had not been received. Cllr. Lewis advised that she had contacted the department and they had come to empty the bins. Cllr. Lewis reported that the bin on the common had not been emptied for 6 weeks and the one in The Square for four weeks. It was agreed that the situation would be monitored.|
|Loose Drain Cover outside 46 High Street - The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Essex County Fire and Rescue Service who had passed the matter to Essex and Suffolk Water who will be sending an inspector to inspect the site. The Clerk gave the Chairman and Cllr. Tully the telephone number and reference number in order that they could contact Essex and Suffolk Water for a progress report.|
|Restoration of grass at the junction of Common Road/Birch Lane - The Clerk advised that she had written to British Telecommunications but to-date a reply had not been received. The Chairman reported that the kerb had been marked but the grass had not yet been restored.|
|Proposed Street Lighting on the Paved Dakyn Drive/Swan Lane Footpath - The Clerk advised that she had written to Mr Crossley at Chelmsford Borough Council. To-date a reply had not been received.|
|ACDPC's Annual General Meeting on 20th May 2004 - Cllr. Otter advised that she had been unable to attend the meeting.|
|EALC Half Day Seminar on Affordable Housing - Cllr. Otter advised that she had attended this seminar.|
|1003||PARISH COUNCIL OFFICE.|
|The Chairman advised that he still had to purchase a new telephone for the office. There was nothing further to report on the break-in.|
|a)||The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Mr Mason of 85 Mill Road with regard to using the strip of land at the rear of his house for the purpose of making deliveries and removing spoil from his house in order that a swimming pool could be built. The land mentioned is used as a Public Footpath, which is maintained by the Parish Council. The Chairman reported that the Clerk had been in discussions with Mr Clark with regard to this matter and that he was going to put something in writing to her. Mr Clark had advised the Clerk that there were several safety aspects that would have to be addressed. Mr Clark advised that if planning permission were sought for this swimming pool then conditions would be put on the consent. The Chairman had been to visit the site and felt that there was adequate access on the eastern side of the property to get a sizeable digger in/out. The Parish Council were concerned at trucks/dumpers being driven down Myln Meadow as there are a number of children who live at that end of the street. It was therefore agreed that the Clerk should write to Mr Mason informing him that based on an initial inspection, the Parish Council believe that sufficient access could be gained from Mill Road and therefore do not grant permission for him to use the footpath for the purpose of making deliveries of materials and removing spoil.|
|b)||The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Charles Beaumont of 1 Mill Lane with regard to replacing the fencing from St. Peter's Way to Mill Lane as it has rotted at ground level and part has collapsed. Mr Beaumont suggested purchasing oak posts from Thorndon Sawmills. It was agreed that the Clerk would write to Mr Clark at Chelmsford Borough Council in this regard. Cllr. Elliott advised the Clerk that it was Footpath 18 at the Mill Lane end.|
|c)||The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from John Westwood with regard to the Stock and Buttsbury War Memorial. It was agreed that Cllr. Johnson would take the letter and speak with Dick Finch about the matter. Cllr. Easton reported that the War Memorial had nothing to do with the Parish Council but was erected from a public subscription.|
|d)||The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Clare Branch of Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to Stakeholder Consultation of Chelmsford Borough Council's Grants Policy. Comments on the draft document to be in by 2nd July 2004. The document was handed to Cllr. Peacock to comment on.|
|e)||The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Essex Playing Fields Association with regard to the Best Kept Playing Fields Competition. It was decided that the village would not enter.|
|Insurance - The matter was discussed and as Allianz Cornhill had not submitted their quotation it was agreed to take out Zurich Municipal's quotation of £1,110.59. It was agreed that the matter would be reviewed once Allianz Cornhill's quotation was received. Cllr. Elliott thought that all the benches in the village should be added to the policy.|
|Approval of Accounts for 2003/04. The Clerk had prepared the accounts and circulated them to the Councillors. The Chairman and Clerk were authorised to sign the accounts.|
|Audit of Accounts 2003/04. The Clerk advised that the internal audit was due to be carried out by Peter Bentley on the 7th June 2004.|
|Transfer of Funds - The Clerk advised that on the 6th May she had transferred £14,000.00 from the Current Account to the Business Reserve Account. On the 18th May 2004 the Clerk had put on notice to transfer £1,000.00 from the Business Reserve Account to the Current Account and that the transfer would take place on the 25th May 2004.|
|Precept - The Clerk advised that the first half of the Precept had been received.|
|Cheques to be Signed -The following cheques were approved for payment and signed:|
|1006||PARISH COUNCILLORS' ALLOWANCES.|
|After discussion it was agreed that the scheme would be adopted. It was agreed that the Clerk would organise the documentation in order to implement this.|
|1007||BEST VALUE GROUP REPORT.|
|Traffic Management - The Chairman advised that after the last meeting he had written to the Highways Department asking for the village gateway sign to read 'Stock Welcomes Courteous Drivers'.|
|Playground - The Clerk read out the playground inspection report that Mr Snooks had prepared. It was agreed that the Clerk should ask Mr Tant to carry out the works specified.|
|Broadband - Nothing to report.|
|Cllr. Elliott reported that she had not been happy with the man cutting the grass in the village. She reported that nothing had been cut in the village for the last couple of weeks. It was agreed that the Clerk should write to ELS stating that the Parish Council were dissatisfied with the service and that the work was not being carried out as specified. Cllr. Elliott asked the Clerk to get a schedule from ELS of the when the work is to be carried out.|
|The tree that was covered in brambles at the Weir Pond site was discussed and it was agreed that the Clerk should ask ELS to remove it.|
|Cllr. Elliott asked the Clerk to write to Essex and Suffolk Water asking them to restore the grass in the area next to the pond adjacent to Thornton Place.|
|Cllr. Tully reported that the glass casing had come off of the streetlight on the footpath between Austen Drive and Dakyn Drive. It was agreed that the Clerk would write to Paul Crossley at Chelmsford Borough Council in this regard.|
|1010||WAR ON WASTE.|
|Cllr. Tully reported that the bins at The Cock were smelling foul. Cllr. Lewis advised her to contact Gail Matthews at Chelmsford Borough Council.|
|Cllr. Williams reported that when the brown bins had been collected fertiliser had been pouring out of the vehicle and leaving oil patches on the road. The Chairman advised that he had contacted Chelmsford Borough Council in this regard. Cllr. Otter advised that Chelmsford Borough Council will come and put sand on the oil patches if they are contacted.|
|The Clerk advised that she had ordered a new litter bin and that an insurance claim would be made for the bin that had got burnt at the bus shelter. Cllr. Johnson advised that she had met with the owner of the property that the bin stands outside and it was agreed that he would like it on a post and not attached to his fence.|
|Nothing to report.|
|Nothing to report.|
|1014||ROAD SIGNS AND FOOTPATHS|
|Cllr. Williams reported that the footpath that runs from Birch Lane to Downham Road is impassable. It was agreed that the Clerk should write to Mr Clark at Chelmsford Borough Council.|
|Cllr. Lewis reported that the no entry signs into The Square are very faded and that more cars are going the wrong way into The Square. The Chairman agreed to bring the matter up at the next traffic meeting.|
|Cllr. Tully reported that the hedge by the zebra crossing needed cutting back. It was agreed that the Clerk would contact the Highways Department.|
|1015||VILLAGE HALL REPORT.|
|Cllr. Williams gave the following report:-|
|The bi-monthly Committee meeting and the AGM of the Village Hall Management Committee have been held since our last Parish Council meeting. The Treasurer, Jeff Wilks, reported a very satisfactory year. The balance at the start of the year was £14,600.00 and £28,500.00 at the end of the year. There are no debts now and a fund is being built up for maintenance and replacements. The building fund has been closed, and also the lottery. The Trustee documents are finally completed. A vote of thanks was given to Jeff who is retiring after 3 years.|
|The main alteration in the past year has been the employment of a paid Hall Manager, Geoff Tully, who replaced Jo Fothergill, who was thanked for all his hard work over the last few years. Letting procedures have been tightened up. There have been fewer social events in aid of the hall, largely due to a lack of volunteers to organise them. A Christmas Fayre and coffee morning is planned for 4th December, and an urgent request has been put out for a volunteer to co-ordinate the different societies so that this event will take place.|
|Since the last AGM the Management Committee has concentrated on consolidating the building which has been very well used. Rentals have increased by 18%. Car park lighting has been installed and a grass-cutting contract is in operation. They are currently looking at replacing the chairs and the flooring in the small hall. The Chairman, John Stratford; Vice-Chairman, Doug Taffs; Secretary, Shirlee Grundy, have agreed to stand for another year. This leaves a vacancy for Treasurer. Stan Elgar has agreed to take this on as a temporary measure until a new Treasurer is found.|
|Following the break-in at the Parish Council office, it was announced that the Village Hall insurance does not cover this.|
|The next meeting of the Management Committee will be Tuesday 13th July.|
|After Cllr. Williams had given her report the matter of the insurance was discussed and the Chairman asked her to find out who the Village Hall's insurers were. It was generally felt that as the Parish Council are tenants then the office building should be covered by the Village Hall's insurance.|
|Cllr. Williams advised that the matter of a new Parish Council noticeboard being placed on the wall outside had been discussed and that the Village Hall Management Committee are currently looking for a quotation for a metal framed one.|
|1016.||PARISH PASSENGER TRANSPORT REPORT.|
|Cllr. Otter gave a report on a recent meeting she had attended. She advised that the Ipswich Tunnel would be closed from 11th July to 5th September 2004. Cllr. Otter advised that the No. 42 bus service had been improved and that at Broomfield Hospital the tennis courts had been removed in order to create another car parking area. Cllr. Otter said that liaisons were being made with colleges with regard to proof of age cards. Cllr. Otter reported that First buses have raised the outer zone fares. Cllr. Otter reported that eligibility for concessionary travel is for those over 60, disabled or for health reasons cannot drive|
|1017.||REPORT BY CHELMSFORD BOROUGH COUNCILLOR IAN GRUNDY.|
|No report was given as Cllr. Grundy was on holiday.|
|1018||ESSEX RURAL HOUSING TRUST|
|Nothing further to report.|
|1019||STOCK VILLAGE APPRAISAL.|
|The Chairman advised that a small group would be meeting on Thursday to talk about the action plan and to discuss the Village Appraisal. The Chairman advised that a date in July had been set for the main meeting.|
|1020||DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING.|
|The next Meeting of the Parish Council is on the 28th June 2004|
|Cllr. Tully agreed to replace Cllr. Williams for the Civic Service and D-Day Anniversary at Chelmsford Cathedral on the 6th June 2004.|
|The Chairman thanked everyone for coming; the meeting closed at 10.35pm.|
|Stock Home Page||Council|