STOCK PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes Of The Meeting Held
On Monday 29rth March 2004 At Stock Village Hall At 7.30pm.

Present: Cllrs. Williams, Elliott, Tully, Peacock, Lusty, Easton & Otter
In The Chair Cllr. Johnson
Minute Secretary Lorraine Green
Also Present: 13 Members of the Public and Chelmsford Borough Councillor Ian Grundy

951 DEMOCRATIC TIME.
A parishioner, John Westwood, reported that he was researching the War Memorials in and around Stock, Margaretting and Fryerning. Mr Westwood had noticed a number of collaborated mistakes and that one or two names were missing which he would like corrected. Mr Westwood was advised that his earlier communications on the subject had been passed to Mr Dick Finch, the Chairman of the Royal British Legion, and that the matter was going to be discussed at their next meeting. Mr Westwood was advised to contact Mr Dick Finch. Mr Westwood also advised that Ingatestone were currently building a War Memorial as they did not have one at present.
A parishioner asked what the current proposals were for the Smallgains Lane closure. Cllr. Peacock discussed the matter with the parishioner and advised that the next traffic meeting with Essex County Council and Chelmsford Borough Council will be held in the beginning of June and that he did not think that the lane would be closed. It was agreed that Cllr. Peacock would ask at the next traffic meeting for a trial speed limit to be experimented with in Smallgains Lane. Cllr. Peacock said that he would also ask for speed loops to be put in again. Cllr. Peacock advised that eventually the speed limit would go down to 50mph or 40mph in the lane once the law goes through Government. The Chairman said that she felt a weight restriction was needed in the lane.
A parishioner, Virginia Henderson, asked why Peter Street, Lindens and Rumbles Green had been given the recent survey when they were not affected by speed. Cllr. Peacock advised that anyone who would be affected by the closure was sent a questionnaire. Virginia Henderson reported that the verges in Smallgains Lane were 3ft wider than usual due to excessive large traffic. Cllr. Peacock advised that the matter had been raised at the traffic meeting and that the verges will be repaired when the weather gets better.
A parishioner reported that on footpath 32 there used to be a stile, which has now rotted away. It was agreed that the Clerk would contact Mr Clark, the Rights of Way Officer, in this regard.
A parishioner who lives in Swan Cottage asked what the outcome of the traffic management survey had been. He was concerned at the speed of traffic in the High Street and the height of the kerbs. Cllr. Peacock discussed the matters with the parishioner and advised that a 7 day, 24-hour volume and speed survey had been carried out before the work started and that another was due once the work had been completed. Cllr. Peacock advised that there was not enough money to replace the kerbs.
952 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
Cllr. Lewis sent her apologies.
953 MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING.
Cllr. Williams asked for the word 'Acting' to be removed from the third sentence of the fifth paragraph of Minute 933. Matters Arising From The Minutes.
Cllr. Elliott asked for the last sentence to be removed from the planning application no. 04/00177/FUL in Minute 935. Planning Matters.
Cllr. Otter asked for the words 'and the owner, Miss De'Ath' to be removed from the last sentence in Minute 933. Matters Arising, Minute 923. Open Spaces.
The Minutes of the last Meeting, having been previously circulated, were then duly signed as a true record of events. All agreed.
954 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES.
Minute 912. Matters Arising From The Minutes and 889. Democratic Time.
Cllr. Peacock thanked everyone for distributing the leaflets and apologised to Roger Watling for incorrectly spelling the website.
Minute 933, 912, 892, 871, 850, 827, 806, 784. Matters Arising From The Minutes and Minute 775. General Correspondence Item b.
Cllr. Elliott advised that work was due to be started on the ditch on the Common on Monday 5th April 2004, weather permitting.
Minute 933, 912, 892 Matters Arising From The Minutes and Minute 860. Maintenance.
The Clerk advised that Cllr. Lewis had spoken to someone about the Christmas Tree for the Square and had been advised to buy a 4-5ft tree, as it would grow quicker and better. Cllr. Lewis to meet the man after Easter.
Minute 933, 912 Matters Arising From The Minutes and 893. General Correspondence, item a.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Lynn Cameron, Tree Warden Scheme Co-Ordinator, with regard to the Tree Warden Scheme. Ms. Cameron stated that Chelmsford Borough Council would provide training and that they were hoping to run a planting scheme when the Parishes may wish to bid for grants towards tree planting in their parish. Chelmsford Borough Councillor Ian Grundy reported that he had attended the second half of the Inaugural Meeting on the 11th March. He said that the meeting was well supported with a very enthusiastic speaker. Cllr. Grundy advised that Stock have 60 Tree Preservation Orders. It was agreed that Cllr. Peacock would contact Dennis Andrews to see if he would like the position of Tree Warden or whether he knew of someone who would like the job. Cllr. Easton said that she would be happy to share the responsibility of Tree Warden with Mr Andrews or whoever took the position.
The Clerk reported that she had not heard from Mr Vale about erecting more posts in Mill Lane. The Clerk was asked to chase the matter up.
Cllr. Tully advised that the matter was in hand with regard to obtaining a quotation for the refurbishment of the village pump in Back Lane.
Minute 933. Matters Arising From the Minutes and 913. General Correspondence - Item b.
The Clerk advised that she was still waiting for Mr Archer of Chelmsford Borough Council to confirm the date for the Summer Play Activities.
Minute 933. Matters Arising From the Minutes and 913. General Correspondence - Item f.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Essex County Council acknowledging the Parish Council's comments with regard to the Draft Essex Minerals Local Plan Second Review document.
Minute 933. Matters Arising From the Minutes and 923. Open Spaces.
The Chairman reported that she had asked the Clerk not to send the letter to the Enforcement Officer with regard to the landscaping of the verges outside 29 Mill Road but to hold the matter over until this meeting. The Chairman said that she agreed that the shrubs outside 29 Mill Road should be removed but she did not feel that it was right to ask the owner to remove the profile of the verges. The Chairman felt that there was no justification to get the Enforcement Officer to look at something so petty. The Clerk advised that she had spoken to Chelmsford Borough Council and that they had said that as the land was common land it was down to the Parish Council to take the matter up with the owner, i.e. Lord Petre. After discussion, a vote was taken which resulted in five Councillors wanting the Clerk to write to the owner and ask them to remove just the shrubs, two Councillors thought the Enforcement Officer should be contacted and Cllr. Lusty thought the shrubs should not be removed at all. It was agreed therefore that the Clerk would write to Miss De'Ath, copying the letter to Lord Petre, and ask her to remove the shrubs as they had been planted on common land without permission from Lord Petre.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from the Harlequin Montesorri School enclosing a cheque for £100.00 towards the repairs to the Common car park. Cllr. Grundy advised that the potholes had been repaired. Cllr. Grundy was asked to find out who had carried out the repairs. After discussion, it was agreed that the cheque should be returned to the Montesorri School as it was the only contribution that had been received.
Minute 934. General Correspondence- Item a.
The Clerk read out letters that had been received from Lynn Cameron, Arboricultural Support Officer, with regard to replacing the felled Willow Tree at the Former Weir Pond, Mill Road. It was agreed that copies of the letters should be forwarded to Mr Condron.
Minute 934. General Correspondence- Item d.
The Clerk advised that Chelmsford Borough Council had confirmed that they would deliver litter pickers, gloves and a skip on Friday 23rd April.
Minute 934. General Correspondence- Item g.
The Clerk had not yet received confirmation as to when the Gateway Team would be visiting the village.
Minute 934. General Correspondence- Item h.
The Clerk read out a copy of a letter that Mr Martin Easteal of Chelmsford Borough Council had sent to The Ingatestone Residents Association. Cllr. Grundy confirmed that Honeypot Lane would be resurfaced.
Minute 934. General Correspondence- Item i.
The Clerk advised that Cllr. Otter would like to attend the free seminar on Parish Council Housing on 29th April at Foakes Hall, Great Dunmow.
Minute 941. War on Waste.
The Clerk advised that she had reported the bin bags and burnt out car in Swan Lane to the Hit Squad.
Minute 944. Open Spaces.
It was agreed that the Parish Council would continue to look for a suitable place for a bike rack in the centre of the village.
Minute 945. Road Signs and Footpaths.
The Clerk advised that she had reported to Mr Clark that somebody had been digging up the stile on Footpath 33. To-date no reply had been received. It was agreed that the Clerk would chase the matter up.
955 GENERAL CORRESPONDENCE.
a) The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from the Licensing Administrator at Chelmsford Borough Council advising that an application had been submitted for the grant to Miss C. Stratford of 2 Webster Place of a licence to permit the public performance of plays at Stock Village Hall from 7.30pm to 11.00pm on 5th to 8th May 2004 and 24th to 27th November 2004. Accommodation for 100 persons in the Main Hall of the premises is requested. The Parish Council had no objections to this request.
b) The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from the Civic Services Manager inviting members of the Parish Council and their spouse to the Civic Service and D-Day Anniversary on the 6th June 2004 at Chelmsford Cathedral at 11.15am. It was agreed that Cllr. Lusty and Cllr. Williams would attend.
c) The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Lynn Constable, Technical Officer of Municipal Engineering at Chelmsford Borough Council, advising that Countryside Properties wished to name Plot 20 of the Honeypot Lane development Newnham House.
d) The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister enclosing copies of consultation papers which sets out proposals to issue Regulation and guidance relating to the arrangements by which local authority monitoring officers may investigate allegations of misconduct by members referred to them by ethical standards officers. Comments to be made by 18th May 2004. It was agreed that Cllr. Lusty would look at the document.
956 PLANNING MATTERS.
The Clerk advised that a Notification of Appeal had been received for Scriveners Farm, Madles Lane. It was agreed that the Clerk should write to the Planning Inspectorate and ask for a copy of the Appeal Decision. Cllr. Otter asked the Clerk to mention in her letter that the Parish Council fully endorse what they said previously.
The Clerk advised that an anonymous letter had been received asking the Parish Council to look into the planning permission that had been granted for 13 Austen Drive as the person writing the letter felt that a breach of planning consent had taken place. The Clerk reported that she had contacted the Enforcement Officer who advised that following a site visit and an examination of planning records, no breach of planning control had taken place.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Maggie Stanton, Legal Services Officer, of Chelmsford Borough Council advising that Tree Preservation Order No. (1982/25) at Land at Foxborough Farm and North of Stock Road, was confirmed on the 3rd February 1983 and was revoked on the 16th March 2004. This is because is has been superseded by Tree Preservation Order 2001/103, which was confirmed on the 19th December 2001. The Clerk was asked to write back and advise Ms. Stanton that this was not in the Parish of Stock.
The subject of what planning applications should come to a full Council meeting and not go through delegated power was discussed. Suggestions were change of use, commercial use, rebuild, new build and applications in the green belt and conservation areas. The Chairman asked the Councillors to think about the matter and that it would be discussed at the next meeting.
Applications:
Application No. 04/00364/FUL. Single storey rear conservatory.
Location: 17 Back Lane, Stock
Applicant: C. Campbell.
Comments by 18th March 2004, under the Clerk's delegated power this had been passed to Cllrs. Johnson, Elliott & Williams who said that they had no comments to make.
Application No. 04/00342/FUL. Minor revision application; new doctors surgery and dispensary with car parking.
Location: Land Between Orchard House and Hawthorns, Common Road, Stock
Applicant: Dr. J. Coffin and Dr. D. Acorn.
Comments by 17th March 2004, under the Clerk's delegated power this had been passed to Cllrs. Johnson, Elliott & Williams who said that they had no comments to make.
Application No. 04/00358/FUL. Extensions and internal re-modelling.
Location: Lane End, 59 Birch Lane, Stock
Applicant: Mr & Mrs B. Radley
Comments by 18th March 2004, under the Clerk's delegated power this had been passed to Cllrs. Johnson, Elliott & Williams who said that they had no comments to make.
Application No. 04/00352/FUL. Erection of two storey garage/carport/bedroom/ensuite extension (revised proposal) replacement of single storey rear extension.
Location: Little Orchard, 5 The Paddock, Stock
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Greenwood.
Application No. 04/00395/FUL. Single storey garage.
Location: Daylands Farm, Stock Road, Stock
Applicant: Mr & Mrs M. Sood.
Comments by 22nd March 2004, under the Clerk's delegated power this had been passed to Cllrs. Johnson, Elliott & Williams who said that this property was in the Parish of West Hanningfield not Stock.
Application No. 04/00396/FUL. Demolish existing outbuilding; construct ground floor rear extension.
Location: Old Pump, Downham Road, Stock
Applicant: Mr R. Curry.
Comments by 22nd March 2004, under the Clerk's delegated power this had been passed to Cllrs. Johnson, Elliott & Williams who said that they had no comments to make.
Application No. 04/00371/FUL. Construction of new detached garage.
Location: 41 Birch Lane, Stock.
Applicant: Mr & Mrs N. Staves.
Comments by 25th March 2004, under the Clerk's delegated power this had been passed to Cllrs. Johnson, Elliott & Williams who said that they had no comments to make.
Application No. 04/00462/FUL. Two storey side & first floor rear extension, plus rear conservatory.
Location: 16 Myln Meadow, Stock
Applicant: M. Joslin Esq.,
Comments by 26th March 2004, under the Clerk's delegated power this had been passed to Cllrs. Johnson, Elliott & Williams who said that they had no comments to make.
Application No. 04/00452/FUL. Rear conservatory. Location: 57 Myln Meadow, Stock
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Hannaway.
Comments by 26th March 2004, under the Clerk's delegated power this had been passed to Cllrs. Johnson, Elliott & Williams who said that they had no comments to make.
Application No. 04/00477/FUL. Demolition of existing house (bungalow) and replacement with new bungalow.
Location: Sunrise, Furze Lane, Stock
Applicant: Bickenhall Investments.
Comments by 26th March 2004, under the Clerk's delegated power this had been passed to Cllrs. Johnson, Elliott & Williams who said that they had no comments to make.
Application No. 04/00482/FUL. Replacement of existing farm buildings and new cattery buildings, including storage buildings, in association with new cattery use.
Location: Chase Farm, Stock Road, Stock
Applicant: Mr & Mrs J. Dunn
Comments by 30th March 2004, under the Clerk's delegated power this had been passed to Cllrs. Johnson, Elliott & Williams who said that this property was in the Parish of West Hanningfield not Stock.
Application No. 04/00481/FUL. Single storey house extension and new detached double garage and out buildings ancillary to residential use.
Location: Chase Farm, Stock Road, Stock
Applicant: Mr & Mrs J. Dunn
Application No. 04/00389/REM. Erection of one detached dwelling on Plot 15.
Location: Former SmithKline Beecham Research Complex, Honeypot Lane, Stock
Applicant: Countryside Residential (North Thames) Ltd.
The Parish Council commented that the house was excessive in size and particularly in height for the proposed site.
Application No. 04/00224/FUL. Extension to existing rear dormer window and single storey rear extension.
Location: 14 Common Lane, Stock
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Walker.
Application No. 04/00628/FUL. Single storey front and rear extensions, pitched roofs to existing dormers.
Location: 35 Back Lane, Stock
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Bicknell.
Results:
Application No. 03/02446/FUL. Rebuild dwelling following fire damage, bungalow.
Location: Cookshill Wood Bungalow, Swan Lane, Stock.
Applicant: Mr R.F. Haines. Approved.
Application No. 04/00022/LBC. Replacement of existing floor finish to lobby with oak floor, replacement of existing secondary external door with new door in enlarged (vertical) opening. Demolition of existing sitting room/hall wall and door and replacement with folding door screen. Replacement of existing stair including trimming back stairwell and infilling existing door and forming new door. Replacement of meter cupboard with bookcase incorporating meters. Installation of window shutter (internal). Replacement of skirting.
Location: Brick House, 48 High Street, Stock
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Gillespie. Listed Building Consent Approved.
Application No. 04/00019/FUL. Change of use of barn to B1 Business use (print design and associated offices/photography studio)
Location: Bellmans, Stock Road, Stock.
Applicant: Mr P. Fenwick. Approved.
Application No. 04/00108/FUL. Pitched roof to garage; 2 storey extension between house and garage.
Location: Highwood House, 106 Mill Road, Stock.
Applicant: Mr & Mrs P. Morcom. Approved.
Application No. 04/00177/FUL. Demolition of existing chalet & outbuilding proposed new 3 bed chalet.
Location: Hillside Farm, Whites Hill, Stock
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Lewis. Refused.
957 FINANCE.
The Chairman advised that she had had a meeting with John Stratford with regard to the rent of the office and it had been agreed that the Village Hall Management Committee would freeze the rent at £1,000.00 per annum.
The Clerk advised that a VAT refund had been received of £368.07 and £110.89 interest on the Business Reserve account.
Transfer of Funds - None carried out.
Cheques to be Signed - The following cheques were approved for payment and signed:
100949 £502.87 Mrs L.J.Green Salary 1.3.04 - 31.3.04
100950 £49.89 Inland Revenue Only PAYE and N.I.
100951 £112.03 Mrs L.J. Green Expenses
100952 £399.50 ELS Clearing ditches on Common
958 PARISH COUNCILLORS' ALLOWANCES
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Malcolm Bartlett, Civic Services Manager at Chelmsford Borough Council, enclosing a report by the Parish Remuneration Panel recommending the level of allowances for Parish Councillors. Mr Bartlett advised that he would prepare a draft scheme, including a list of approved duties, which can be adopted as each Parish Council sees fit.
959 BEST VALUE GROUP REPORT.
Traffic Management - Cllr. Peacock showed the Councillors a draft copy of the gateway entry sign for the village. It was agreed that the wording should read 'Stock welcomes courteous drivers'.
Playground - Nothing to report
Broadband - Roger Watling advised that 268 people had now registered for B.T. Broadband. He advised that Broadband Now's repeater had not been working properly.
GRASS CUTTING.
960 The grass cutting tenders were opened and discussed and it was agreed that the grass cutting contract for the village should be given to ELS and the Churchyard contract to M.I. Henderson. The Clerk was asked to check that when ELS passed the contract over to Mr Williams that he honoured the fixed price tender until 2006. Cllr. Williams asked the Clerk to contact ELS and ask them to cut the grass on the Common weekly from now on.
961 STREET LIGHTING
The Clerk advised that she had written to Paul Crossley at Chelmsford Borough Council with regard to erecting a street light on the paved footpath that runs from Dakyn Drive to Swan Lane as it is very dark in this area and elderly people feel very vulnerable. Mr Crossley had contacted the Clerk and advised her that there is already a street light on the footpath. The Clerk therefore asked Cllr. Tully to look to see if the light was actually working.
962 WAR ON WASTE.
Nothing to report.
963 BUS SHELTERS.
Cllr. Lusty advised that he thought the brick bus shelter looked better now that the broken window had been taken out and asked for the remaining window to be taken out of the brick bus shelter. It was agreed that the Clerk would contact Mr Tant in this regard.
964 MAINTENANCE
Cllr. Williams reported that someone had twisted their ankle in a pothole in Birch Lane between numbers 37 and 51. It was agreed that the Clerk would write to Chelmsford Borough Council asking them to fill the potholes in in Birch Lane.
965 OPEN SPACES.
Cllr. Easton reported that the concrete post signing footpath on footpath 19 at the White Hills entrance is completely out and is lying on the ground.It was agreed that the Clerk would write to Mr Clark, the Rights of Way Officer, regarding this matter.
966 ROAD SIGNS AND FOOTPATHS
Cllr. Elliott reported that the signpost at the end of Mill Road/Downham Road had still not been renewed and that the Wickford arm was still missing. It was agreed that the Clerk would chase the matter up with Highways.
967 VILLAGE HALL REPORT.
Cllr. Williams reported that the Village Hall Management Committee had responded to the Parish Council's letter requesting a reduction in the £1,000.00 per annum that the Parish Council pays for their office. The request was rejected on the grounds that the Committee felt that £20.00 per week, including electricity, was a good price to pay for office premises. The Committee pointed out that the office was used most days and they considered that it was of adequate size for the Parish Council's requirements as it houses a chair, a desk, a telephone, files etc. The Committee considered the rent to be quite fair and they agreed not to increase it.
Cllr. Williams reported that the Parish Council's planned noticeboard was also discussed and the Chairman, John Stratford, said he would meet Cllr.Johnson for a site meeting. The Committee would prefer the board to be sited in the corner, maybe even two boards, and for the Parish Council post box to be re-sited to the other side of the office door. Cllr. Johnson advised that she had had a meeting with Mr Stratford and she had agreed with the Committee's proposals.Mr Stratford was going to look up the company that provided the Village Hall's aluminum noticeboad, which had a slightly smaller frame than the timber noticeboards.
Cllr. Williams reported that volunteers are urgently required for the positions of Treasurer and Secretary and nominations should be received by the AGM on the 19th May.The next meeting of the Village Hall Management Committee will be held on 11th May.
968 REPORT BY CHELMSFORD BOROUGH COUNCILLOR IAN GRUNDY
Cllr. Grundy advised that Chelmsford Borough Council had been allocated a substantial amount of money for the roads and that he was trying to get them interested in Myln Meadow.Cllr. Grundy advised that in future when planning applications come in the Planning Department are going to actually try and put the value of what the S106 monies will be on the application.
969 ESSEX RURAL HOUSING TRUST
Cllr. Easton reported that a number of parishioners at the Conservative Party's AGM had raised the question of Affordable Housing and what is happening. She advised that she had invited them to the Parish Council Annual Parish Meeting to find out more.
970 STOCK VILLAGE APPRAISAL.
The Clerk read out a letter that had been received from Mark Levett, the Treasurer and Secretary of the Stock Village Millenium Report, enclosing a cheque for £18.48 which represented the balance in the bank account of the project after meeting all known expenses. A copy of the summary of income and expenditure covering the whole period of the project was enclosed and it was noted that the project was now formerly closed. It was agreed that letters of thanks should be sent to Mr Levett and Mr Fenwick.
971 DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING.
The next meeting of the Parish Council is on the 26th April 2004 and the Annual Parish Meeting is on the 21st April 2004.
The Chairman thanked everyone for coming; the meeting closed at 9.58pm.
Stock Home Page Council